Old 21-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Charlie Pridham

Default Oil technique against red spider mite

"Roscoe" wrote in message

"Annabel" wrote in a message:
I believe I saw that you can spray a plant that is infested with oil..
Can someone please enlighten me about this as I can find nothing with a
web search.

Annabel
----------------------

Hi Annabel.

The oil in question is Tar oil which should be applied during the winter
months only. Red spider mites thrive in humid, dry conditions and loathe
water, so forget the Tar oil and get spraying. I used to control them with
Derris dust but not now as using it also controls the predators.

Roscoe

There have also been trials of spraying with a veg based oil during the
growing season, I have not found out which oil, but live in hope! :~) It has
apparently been very successful in california it works by gluing the
blighters to the leaf, sounds good to me!
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk