Old 19-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Annabel

Default Oil technique against red spider mite

I believe I saw that you can spray a plant that is infested with oil..
Can someone please enlighten me about this as I can find nothing with a
web search.

Annabel

Old 20-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Roscoe

"Annabel" wrote in a message:
I believe I saw that you can spray a plant that is infested with oil..
Can someone please enlighten me about this as I can find nothing with a
web search.

Annabel
----------------------

Hi Annabel.

The oil in question is Tar oil which should be applied during the winter
months only. Red spider mites thrive in humid, dry conditions and loathe
water, so forget the Tar oil and get spraying. I used to control them with
Derris dust but not now as using it also controls the predators.

Roscoe

Old 20-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Rod

"Roscoe" wrote in message ...

"Annabel" wrote in a message:
I believe I saw that you can spray a plant that is infested with oil..
Can someone please enlighten me about this as I can find nothing with a
web search.

Annabel
----------------------

Hi Annabel.

The oil in question is Tar oil which should be applied during the winter
months only. Red spider mites thrive in humid, dry conditions and loathe
water, so forget the Tar oil and get spraying. I used to control them with
Derris dust but not now as using it also controls the predators.

No Tar oil is not the one. In fact tar oil has often increased populations of rsm by killing off overwintering rsm
predators. The oil in question is specifically formulated 'spraying oil' I believe there are also vegetable (rape?)
oils made for the job. I've never used them - never needed to but know folks who have with some success, at least with
the mineral oil based products but I don't think they are available for domestic use.

Rod

Old 21-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Roscoe

"Rod" wrote in a message:

No Tar oil is not the one. In fact tar oil has often increased populations

of rsm by killing off overwintering rsm
predators. The oil in question is specifically formulated 'spraying oil'

I believe there are also vegetable (rape?)
oils made for the job. I've never used them - never needed to but know

folks who have with some success, at least with
the mineral oil based products but I don't think they are available for

domestic use.
--------

Whilst working for a famous market gardener, one of my less than pleasurable
jobs was to paint mealy bug infested grape vines using rabbit's tail
'brushes' dipped in a pure nicotine liquid. We also used pine tar oil as an
insecticide for eradicating red spider mites and others which was sprayed on
the bare branches in the greenhouses during the winter months. As I said and
as you rightly say, tar oil also kills the predators. In these more
enlightened times, I can't imagine that any gardener would be able to use
either.

Roscoe

Old 21-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Annabel

"Roscoe" wrote in message

"Rod" wrote in a message:

[...]

Iirc the oil is not a poisonous one.

Bel

Old 21-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Roscoe" wrote in message

"Annabel" wrote in a message:
I believe I saw that you can spray a plant that is infested with oil..
Can someone please enlighten me about this as I can find nothing with a
web search.

Annabel
----------------------

Hi Annabel.

The oil in question is Tar oil which should be applied during the winter
months only. Red spider mites thrive in humid, dry conditions and loathe
water, so forget the Tar oil and get spraying. I used to control them with
Derris dust but not now as using it also controls the predators.

Roscoe

There have also been trials of spraying with a veg based oil during the
growing season, I have not found out which oil, but live in hope! :~) It has
apparently been very successful in california it works by gluing the
blighters to the leaf, sounds good to me!
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 21-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Rod

"Roscoe" wrote in message ...

enlightened times, I can't imagine that any gardener would be able to use
either.

Used to spray fruit trees with my dad using a nicotine/soap concoction called nicosoap iirc. Doubt if you could get/use
nicotine liquid now but I know a commercial pot plant grower near here who still uses nicotine shreds for fumigating
glasshouses - he's in a built up area so I hope his houses aren't as leaky as mine.

Rod

Old 21-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Annabel

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Roscoe" wrote in message

"Annabel" wrote in a message:
[...]

This was the kind of thing I was looking for.

Bel

Old 21-06-2003, 11:56 PM
David Hill

I wonder if the oil in question is Neem oil
see www.neemfoundation.org

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries