Old 21-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Tim Wardell

Default Cloudy Water

I recently finished a 1700 gallon pond in East Texas. All water test come
out as expected and the fish and plants are healthy and happy. The only
problem is the water is still cloudy after almost 3 months. All my other
ponds have had crystal clear visibility. You could see to the bottom at
depths of 3 to 4 feet. The only new factor in the equation seems to be the
red clay of East Texas. I kept some of what was dug out to make the hole for
the pond to plant my water lilies in. Even though I pre-soaked the pots I
still had a healthy cloud of dust emerge as I put each in the pond.
Apparently this stuff either takes forever to settle out, or my pump and/or
fish are keeping the water stirred up to the point that it can't.

Any thoughts? Will this stuff eventually settle to the bottom? Is there
something I can do besides a water change? I'd hate to disturb the plants
and fish now that they've adjusted and are doing so well. Granted this is a
purely aesthetic thing, but I like to see deeper than 5 inches.

Tim Wardell
Palestine, TX
Zone 8