Old 21-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Tim Wardell

Default Cloudy Water

I recently finished a 1700 gallon pond in East Texas. All water test come
out as expected and the fish and plants are healthy and happy. The only
problem is the water is still cloudy after almost 3 months. All my other
ponds have had crystal clear visibility. You could see to the bottom at
depths of 3 to 4 feet. The only new factor in the equation seems to be the
red clay of East Texas. I kept some of what was dug out to make the hole for
the pond to plant my water lilies in. Even though I pre-soaked the pots I
still had a healthy cloud of dust emerge as I put each in the pond.
Apparently this stuff either takes forever to settle out, or my pump and/or
fish are keeping the water stirred up to the point that it can't.

Any thoughts? Will this stuff eventually settle to the bottom? Is there
something I can do besides a water change? I'd hate to disturb the plants
and fish now that they've adjusted and are doing so well. Granted this is a
purely aesthetic thing, but I like to see deeper than 5 inches.

Tim Wardell
Palestine, TX
Zone 8

Old 23-06-2003, 03:44 PM
BenignVanilla

"Tim Wardell" wrote in message
[...]

snip

I have the same problem in MD. My water has been orange for months. I am
guilty of not letting it alone though. I have tried Calcite several times,
and near 3/4 water changes. I get some clearing but not much. My wife and
bro-and-sis-in-law have convinced me to stop mucking about and just let it
go a season and see what happens. That is my plan now. I'll let you know how
it works next year.

BV.

Old 23-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

BenignVanilla wrote:

I have the same problem in MD. My water has been orange for months. I am
guilty of not letting it alone though. I have tried Calcite several times,
and near 3/4 water changes. I get some clearing but not much. My wife and
bro-and-sis-in-law have convinced me to stop mucking about and just let it
go a season and see what happens. That is my plan now. I'll let you know how
it works next year.

BV.

Anyone willing to take bets against BV's ability to leave
the pond alone? ;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 23-06-2003, 04:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message
BenignVanilla wrote:

I have the same problem in MD. My water has been orange for months. I am
guilty of not letting it alone though. I have tried Calcite several

times,
and near 3/4 water changes. I get some clearing but not much. My wife

and
bro-and-sis-in-law have convinced me to stop mucking about and just let

it
go a season and see what happens. That is my plan now. I'll let you know

how
it works next year.

BV.

Anyone willing to take bets against BV's ability to leave
the pond alone? ;-)

Ooh...why I oughtta...

BV.

Old 23-06-2003, 04:20 PM
John Rutz

Bonnie Espenshade wrote:
BenignVanilla wrote:

Anyone willing to take bets against BV's ability to leave
the pond alone? ;-)

--
not me said John

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 23-06-2003, 10:33 PM
Anne Lurie

That's the ticket, Bonnie! Keep BV tied up reading posts to the newsgroup,
no time for mucking around with the pond water!

No bets on BV's leaving the pond alone -- how about a "date pool"? You
know, we all guess dates *when* BV gets the urge to tinker? (Sorry, I spent
too much time up North where people had pools on things like ice melt, ice
breakup, etc.)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 24-06-2003, 11:56 PM