Old 22-06-2003, 12:08 AM
Anne Lurie

Default Rose with "sprained ankle"

I just realized that this post needs to be split into A. "Help?" and B.
"Help? and thanks so much for reading the post" -- not to mention my
gratitude to everyone on this newsgroup.

A. If a rose cane has bent, but not quite broken, is there anything that
can be done for it? (Aside from a "splint" is there any sort of bandage or
wax, or something?)

B. (see the following)

So, there I was -- agonizing over how to support the two new big canes that
Graham Thomas threw off.

Previously, I had decided that "caging" the plant was not the right
pproach -- not only was the [available material] cage ugly, the entire
plant was beginning to take on the "I spent my whole life in a vase" look
(oh, c'mon, someone here must know what I mean by that!).

Soooo.......I removed the caging/support from Graham Thomas (sorry, I simply
cannot refer to this one as GT, must be sure sign of rose addiction --
and, gee, I never realized before that "addition" and "addiction" have only
one wee little C between them?)....... and Graham Thomas flourished.

Plant put out 2 big gorgeous canes as tall as I am. And life was good.
Canes are big, bold, and have "branches" to my delight. (Top-heavy should
have come to mind right then, but.........noooo, not to me.)

After a T-storm or two, big canes acquired a graceful arch -- and
above-said branches are now pointing skyward. "Aha," sez I, "this is how
Graham Thomas is meant to achieve its destiny," so I desist from propping,
supporting, whatever.

Then, I notice -- "big sigh" -- that the graceful arch of one of the big
canes has suddenly become an angle (at the bottom, naturally), presumably
not a good sign. So, I prop everybody up with plastic fencing threaded onto
extraneous tomato stakes, and I hope for the best.

I have the oddest feeling that I just answered my own question -- "Wait
and hope for the best" -- as much as I would like to rationalize my
quest for advice as something I could use in future years with "worthy"
roses, I gotta admit, it's only a 2nd-year Graham Thomas that I can find
absolutely everywhere, what's the big deal?

It's no big deal, it's just "my baby" -- I'd already decided that my first
"shovel-prune" would be the Double Delight next to it. (I thought Double
Delight was thriving until I saw what "thriving" roses can really do; and
it's easily replaced -- and this time, I might actually not plant it
"still in the box"). I'd also decided that Graham Thomas might appreciate
the extra space/sunshine from taking down the holly tree next to it (it's a
no-brainer, scraggy Yankee holly vs. you-know-who).

Thanks for listening,

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC