Old 22-06-2003, 06:08 AM
Frank Miles

Default Harvest Garlic Early?

In article ,
Fleemo wrote:
The garlic that I planted last fall has grown tall, and is just now
starting to brown and a few plants have even toppled over. I'm
anxious to harvest them so I can replace them with an early variety of
corn before it gets too late in the season. Are the garlic bulbs
likely to get much larger in the next three weeks or so, or are they
pretty much done with their growing and are close enough to being done
to harvest?

Three weeks -- possibly some size loss if harvested early. Depending
on weather, you may also have to exert a little more care in drying.

Ron Engeland, in his excellent book "Growing Great Garlic", says:

"Immature garlic lacks character and flavor, although average
consumers will never notice the subtle difference. Overmature
bulbs won't store very long before serious deterioration begins."

As another person has suggested, you may be able to interplant.

HTH --
-frank