Old 22-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Jill Bell

Default Small black flying beetles

In message , Charles Thorpe
writes
Yesterday I got swarms of small beetles (?) in the garden. They're about 1
to 1.5 mm long, black wing cases (the wings seem to protude out of the back
of the cases, but my eyes aren't what they were!).

Possibly pollen beetles. Round here they start appearing when the rape
is in flower and then move on to assorted garden plants as the rape runs
to seed. Sweet peas are a favourite:-( They also seem very keen on
anything that is yellow........ and are quite happy to swarm on items of
yellow washing when it's hung out to dry.

Jill
--

http://www.bellsbarn.demon.co.uk
(Gardens, geraniums and photographs)