Old 22-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Timothy

Default lawn care question

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 20:58:35 +0000, Moparholi wrote:

"Timothy" wrote:
On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 12:01:23 -0500, FireBrick wrote:

Actually two.
I have lots of clover, three leaf kind and NO LUCK getting it out of
the lawn.
Any suggestions as to what will clear up the clover without killing
the grass?

second.
One area has a loss of green moss growing on the soil. Any
suggestions as to what will clear up the moss without killing the
adjacent grass?

The field clover is a bit of a bugger to get rid of due to the way it
propogates. But in general, nitrogen and a low soil ph will keep it at
bay. Also a higher mowing hight (3 inches for most lawns ) will help to
keep the weed seeds from sprouting. Your options are weed & feed or
thatching the lawn.

How does thatching control clover?

It doesn't control clover, it only removes it. His root problem is not the
clover but the cultral conditions of the lawn imho. If the grass was mowed
at the correct hight/higher hight the clover and weeds would have a much
harder time getting established in the first place. Clover also tends to
thrive in low nitrogen enviroments, hence the recommendation for a
fertilization program. I personally tend to choose thatching over chemical
killers. Imo thatching is about as effective as the chemical killers, but
with thatching you get all the great thatch for the compost pile! 50.. 100
dollars worth of free compost for the flower beds helps to off set the
thatcher rental.

Btw.... it's killing me and I have to know. What's up with your nic? Are
you a Dodge man?

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com
Bellingham, Washington