Old 22-06-2003, 06:08 PM
FireBrick

Default lawn care question

Actually two.
I have lots of clover, three leaf kind and NO LUCK getting it out of the
lawn.
Any suggestions as to what will clear up the clover without killing the
grass?

second.
One area has a loss of green moss growing on the soil.
Any suggestions as to what will clear up the moss without killing the
adjacent grass?

Please and thank you

It is far more impressive when others discover your good qualities without
your help.

Bill H. in Chicagoland

Old 22-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Timothy

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 12:01:23 -0500, FireBrick wrote:

Actually two.
I have lots of clover, three leaf kind and NO LUCK getting it out of the
lawn.
Any suggestions as to what will clear up the clover without killing the
grass?

second.
One area has a loss of green moss growing on the soil.
Any suggestions as to what will clear up the moss without killing the
adjacent grass?

The field clover is a bit of a bugger to get rid of due to the way it
propogates. But in general, nitrogen and a low soil ph will keep it at
bay. Also a higher mowing hight (3 inches for most lawns ) will help to
keep the weed seeds from sprouting. Your options are weed & feed or
thatching the lawn. I personally dis-like weed & feed due to it's heavy
metal content and the chemicals that are used to kill off the weeds, but
in the same tone, thatching may not be cost effective for you. I'd suggest
that if your lawn area is small that you thatch it and reseed in the fall.
You could easily do this yourself but it's a lot of hard labor. If you
wish to weed & feed I'd wait untill the end of summer. Spread the weed
killer, wait for 2 to 4 weeks and over seed the lawn.

Moss in lawns is generally due to the lack of soil drainage. You can use
moss-out to kill off the moss and not harm the grass. Moss-out will kill
the moss but if the soil conditions stay the same and the dead moss is not
removed, it will come back again rather quickly. I tend to moss-out the
affected areas, wait 2 weeks, thatch and reseed. If you moss-out first
then thatch the moss comes out much easier.
Aireration will help the drainage issues but in some cases aireration
will not fix the problem completly. You may need to redirect your down
spouts on your gutters or even install a french drain.

What I would tend to do....
Test the soil ph of the lawn. Your looking for a 6 to 6.5 ph for your
soil. Adjust the ph if need be.
Thatch and reseed the affected areas in the fall.
Change the cultral practices that are used on the lawn. Raise the mower
hight to 2 3/4 to 3 inches. Start a regular fertilization program for the
lawn. 2 to 4 pounds pure nitrogen per 1000 square feet in 2 to 3 separte
applications. Aireate the compacted and slow draining areas of the lawn
once a year.

Good luck with the moss and clover.

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com
Bellingham, Washington

Old 22-06-2003, 10:08 PM

"Timothy" wrote:
On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 12:01:23 -0500, FireBrick wrote:

Actually two.
I have lots of clover, three leaf kind and NO LUCK getting it out of
the lawn.
Any suggestions as to what will clear up the clover without killing the
grass?

second.
One area has a loss of green moss growing on the soil.
Any suggestions as to what will clear up the moss without killing the
adjacent grass?

The field clover is a bit of a bugger to get rid of due to the way it
propogates. But in general, nitrogen and a low soil ph will keep it at
bay. Also a higher mowing hight (3 inches for most lawns ) will help to
keep the weed seeds from sprouting. Your options are weed & feed or
thatching the lawn.

How does thatching control clover?

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 22-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Timothy

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 20:58:35 +0000, Moparholi wrote:

"Timothy" wrote:
On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 12:01:23 -0500, FireBrick wrote:

Actually two.
I have lots of clover, three leaf kind and NO LUCK getting it out of
the lawn.
Any suggestions as to what will clear up the clover without killing
the grass?

second.
One area has a loss of green moss growing on the soil. Any
suggestions as to what will clear up the moss without killing the
adjacent grass?

The field clover is a bit of a bugger to get rid of due to the way it
propogates. But in general, nitrogen and a low soil ph will keep it at
bay. Also a higher mowing hight (3 inches for most lawns ) will help to
keep the weed seeds from sprouting. Your options are weed & feed or
thatching the lawn.

How does thatching control clover?

It doesn't control clover, it only removes it. His root problem is not the
clover but the cultral conditions of the lawn imho. If the grass was mowed
at the correct hight/higher hight the clover and weeds would have a much
harder time getting established in the first place. Clover also tends to
thrive in low nitrogen enviroments, hence the recommendation for a
fertilization program. I personally tend to choose thatching over chemical
killers. Imo thatching is about as effective as the chemical killers, but
with thatching you get all the great thatch for the compost pile! 50.. 100
dollars worth of free compost for the flower beds helps to off set the
thatcher rental.

Btw.... it's killing me and I have to know. What's up with your nic? Are
you a Dodge man?

Old 22-06-2003, 10:56 PM

"Timothy" wrote:
[...]

Just curious, how do you know his cultural practices.

(Weed-b-gone works wonders on clover)

Btw.... it's killing me and I have to know. What's up with your nic? Are
you a Dodge man?

Well of sorts, I enjoy restoring vintage Mopar muscle cars.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old 23-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Timothy

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:48:16 +0000, Moparholi wrote:

sniped
Just curious, how do you know his cultural practices.

(Weed-b-gone works wonders on clover)

Btw.... it's killing me and I have to know. What's up with your nic?
Are you a Dodge man?

Well of sorts, I enjoy restoring vintage Mopar muscle cars.

A healthy lawn is generaly not susceptible to clover invasion. Of course I
am making assumptions of his cultural practices. It seems that the clover
would have a difficult time getting established in a healthy lawn with
the proper mowing hight.

As far as herbicides go, I tend to stay away from them if possible. I do
use them, but sparingly. I don't believe in better living through
chemistry. Also I feel that people tend to over use the chemicals and they
get stuck using them as a cruch. These are my opinions and I try not to
preach to others about it.

I was restoring a '73 super beetle awhile back. Of course I have no time
for such things atm with work and life and the like. Always wanted to
build a trike bike with the vee dub 1600 dual port, but the wife just
smiles and rolls her eyes....

Old 23-06-2003, 01:08 AM
JJ

For clover, try Weed-b-Gone concentrate in a pump sprayer or hose-end
sprayer. Add a little dish soap - the clover has a waxy surface and the
soap helps it stick.

Old 23-06-2003, 01:20 AM
FireBrick

Hey,
sniped
Just curious, how do you know his cultural practices.

It can't be due to cultural practices...as my wife INSISTS I have NO
culture...

And unfortunately till I retired recently I worked an average 75 hours a
week for over 30 years.
Didn't have a lot of time to do much gardening other than mow and run.

Garden Gnomes care about the environment? Obviously not! Take legal action against fishing groups, under the duty of care rule. Brian[_9_] United Kingdom 0 07-02-2007 08:01 PM
Lawn Care question John A. Keslick, Jr. Texas 0 03-04-2005 06:49 PM
southwest lawn care question, especially dandelion control bill Gardening 4 30-09-2004 11:50 AM
lawn care prices. sp500 Lawns 2 29-03-2003 02:32 PM
North Carolina Red Dirt Lawn Care gilgantic Lawns 1 03-02-2003 06:22 PM