Old 23-06-2003, 07:44 AM
Jeffrey J. Potoff

Default Iceberg and Fabulous are floppy

JimS. wrote:
I planted two Icebergs this year (one bare root, one as part of a tree rose)
and one Fabulous (which is a spawn of Iceberg). They are all three covered
with nice blooms now, but the canes are too wispy to support the weight of
the blooms. So on all three, the flowers hang down. Not lovely.

What's the solution to this? Cut the canes back aggressively to very close?
Seems like I'd never get any blooms that way.
Help!

I have always had this problem with Fabulous, although this summer
things have improved. In the past, I ended up staking some of the canes
to keep them out of the mulch or off other roses. This summer I have
been feeding bi-weekly with 10-50-10, which seems to have helped some.

J.