Old 20-06-2003, 09:44 PM
JimS.

Default Iceberg and Fabulous are floppy

I planted two Icebergs this year (one bare root, one as part of a tree rose)
and one Fabulous (which is a spawn of Iceberg). They are all three covered
with nice blooms now, but the canes are too wispy to support the weight of
the blooms. So on all three, the flowers hang down. Not lovely.

What's the solution to this? Cut the canes back aggressively to very close?
Seems like I'd never get any blooms that way.
Help!

JimS.
Seattle

Old 20-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Theo Asir

Let them grow.
Eventually the shrub gets so large & bushy
the blooms will look like they are stuck
in a sea of green.

http://home.everestkc.net/tasir/images/IcebergBush.jpg

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 20-06-2003, 10:20 PM
JimS.

Hmmm....now I'm concerned.
The Fabulous is planted in a pot which it may not have enough room in to get
really big and bushy.

One Iceberg is planted in the ground and will be fine. The other Iceberg is
part of a double-grafted tree rose, the bottom part. This "tree" is going
to look really stupid with a huge bush hanging down from halfway up the
"trunk", isn't it?

JimS.

Old 21-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Shiva

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 20:38:42 GMT, "JimS."
wrote:

I planted two Icebergs this year (one bare root, one as part of a tree rose)
and one Fabulous (which is a spawn of Iceberg). They are all three covered
with nice blooms now, but the canes are too wispy to support the weight of
the blooms. So on all three, the flowers hang down. Not lovely.

Remember when you were a gawky boy and your hands and feet and head
were too bit for your body? You were floppy then too! Theo is right.
Let them grow up.

What's the solution to this? Cut the canes back aggressively to very close?
Seems like I'd never get any blooms that way.

Don't be prune happy, dahling. Grow a little patience.

Help!

JimS.
Seattle

Old 23-06-2003, 07:44 AM
Jeffrey J. Potoff

JimS. wrote:
I planted two Icebergs this year (one bare root, one as part of a tree rose)
and one Fabulous (which is a spawn of Iceberg). They are all three covered
with nice blooms now, but the canes are too wispy to support the weight of
the blooms. So on all three, the flowers hang down. Not lovely.

What's the solution to this? Cut the canes back aggressively to very close?
Seems like I'd never get any blooms that way.
Help!

I have always had this problem with Fabulous, although this summer
things have improved. In the past, I ended up staking some of the canes
to keep them out of the mulch or off other roses. This summer I have
been feeding bi-weekly with 10-50-10, which seems to have helped some.

J.

Old 23-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Theo Asir

Hmmm! Never seen one of those.