Old 23-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Jeffrey Kessler

Default Pump to prime siphon hose

Thank you for your responses.

Quick summary of suggestions:
1) Hook up the far end of the garden hose to a water line. Pushing water
up the hose will remove the air and get the hose started. Good idea, but my
house is 1/4 mile away!!
2) Get a small pump which runs on a cordless drill. This sounds
interesting. Does anybody have a vendor I can order from online? Somebody
mentioned Wayne pumps. I will google for them today.
3) Water bed kits. I did find one, but it did not work with a garden hose.
I will keep looking.
4) Fuel pumps. Again, I need to see if they will work with garden hoses.

Thanks all, I will let you know how it works out.
"Jeff Kessler" wrote in message
I have a pond with a liner. We have had a lot of rain in the NY state

area
the last 2 months. When this happens the liner "floats" up in certain
areas.

To combat this problem, I have installed some garden hoses under the liner
in strategic places, and siphon the water out from under the "bubble."

This works, as one side of my pond is contained by an earthen wall, and

the
ground on the other side is lower than the bottom of the pond.

My problem is that it is quite difficult and somewhat unpleasant to get
these hoses started. I currently "prime" the siphon by sucking on the

hose.
Have you ever tasted pond mud!?! I am wondering if anyone can direct me

a vendor who offer siphon pumps which attach to a garden hose. Ideally I
would like something hand operated. No gas or electric pumps. I am
thinking of rigging a gas siphon, but none of these are designed to attach
to a garden hose.

Thanks.