Old 21-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Jeff Kessler

Default Pump to prime siphon hose

I have a pond with a liner. We have had a lot of rain in the NY state area
the last 2 months. When this happens the liner "floats" up in certain
areas.

To combat this problem, I have installed some garden hoses under the liner
in strategic places, and siphon the water out from under the "bubble."

This works, as one side of my pond is contained by an earthen wall, and the
ground on the other side is lower than the bottom of the pond.

My problem is that it is quite difficult and somewhat unpleasant to get
these hoses started. I currently "prime" the siphon by sucking on the hose.
Have you ever tasted pond mud!?! I am wondering if anyone can direct me to
a vendor who offer siphon pumps which attach to a garden hose. Ideally I
would like something hand operated. No gas or electric pumps. I am
thinking of rigging a gas siphon, but none of these are designed to attach
to a garden hose.

Thanks.

Old 21-06-2003, 10:56 PM
James Williams

"Jeff Kessler" wrote :

I currently "prime" the siphon by sucking on the hose.

You can also prime a siphon by forcing water -in- the outlet. All you
need to do is fill the hose with water (from either end), then let it loose.

---

Old 21-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Anne Lurie

Jeff,

Have you thought about using one of the plastic "hand-jobs" (sorry!) that
are sold for use with kerosene heaters (for filling them, I mean)?

I don't know about the diameter of the siphon, but I think it would be worth
checking out.

I just that you mention "gas siphons" in your post, but I'm not familiar
with them -- and I thought that kerosene containers were deliberately
designed to be "different" from gasoline containers/mechanisms.

Good luck!

And look at it this way -- it's probably lethal "only if you inhale"!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 21-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Michael Shaffer

Just use a garden hose to fill it up and get the air out, then
disconnect the garden hose.

Old 22-06-2003, 12:56 AM
John Hines

"Jeff Kessler" wrote:

My problem is that it is quite difficult and somewhat unpleasant to get
these hoses started. I currently "prime" the siphon by sucking on the hose.
Have you ever tasted pond mud!?! I am wondering if anyone can direct me to
a vendor who offer siphon pumps which attach to a garden hose. Ideally I
would like something hand operated. No gas or electric pumps. I am
thinking of rigging a gas siphon, but none of these are designed to attach
to a garden hose.

Run over to the hardware store, and get a small pump that will attach to
a drill.

I got one, it connects in/out to garden hoses, self primes, and moves a
bunch of water.

They are less than usd$10 at the hardware store.

Old 22-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Michael Shaffer

I have one of those, just don't turn the drill too fast or without water
for very long or it will melt.

Old 22-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Bob Adkins

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 17:51:48 -0400, "Jeff Kessler"
wrote:

I have a pond with a liner. We have had a lot of rain in the NY state area
the last 2 months. When this happens the liner "floats" up in certain
areas.

Have you ever tasted pond mud!?! I am wondering if anyone can direct me to
a vendor who offer siphon pumps which attach to a garden hose. Ideally I

Wayne Pump makes a small, plastic pump which you can leave permanently
attached to the hose end. Take a cordless drill and get it started (10
seconds) then remove the drill and it will siphon. I got mine for 4 bucks
at Wal-Mart.

Bob
Old 23-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Hal

wrote:

My problem is that it is quite difficult and somewhat unpleasant to get
these hoses started. I currently "prime" the siphon by sucking on the hose.
Have you ever tasted pond mud!?! I am wondering if anyone can direct me to
a vendor who offer siphon pumps which attach to a garden hose. Ideally I
would like something hand operated. No gas or electric pumps. I am
thinking of rigging a gas siphon, but none of these are designed to attach
to a garden hose.

A water bed fill kit has a siphon fitting that works with a garden hose.

Regards,

Hal
Old 23-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Jeffrey Kessler

Thank you for your responses.

Quick summary of suggestions:
1) Hook up the far end of the garden hose to a water line. Pushing water
up the hose will remove the air and get the hose started. Good idea, but my
house is 1/4 mile away!!
2) Get a small pump which runs on a cordless drill. This sounds
interesting. Does anybody have a vendor I can order from online? Somebody
mentioned Wayne pumps. I will google for them today.
3) Water bed kits. I did find one, but it did not work with a garden hose.
I will keep looking.
4) Fuel pumps. Again, I need to see if they will work with garden hoses.

Thanks all, I will let you know how it works out.

Old 23-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Hank Pagel

Small drill pump w/hose fittings. Catalog page #275
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Old 28-06-2003, 02:08 AM
zookeeper

Hank Pagel wrote:
Small drill pump w/hose fittings. Catalog page #275
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Wow, Hank, I just got around to looking this one up. Can't believe it's
only $7.66!! Might be a good thing to have around for those small
siphoning jobs where I don't want to haul out the python or shop vac.
--
Kathy B
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies

Old 28-06-2003, 03:56 AM
Hank Pagel

They are available at home centers also. The quality is not the
greatest but I used one to empty 300 gal. of heating oil from a
friends in ground oil tank into drums and then into my tank. 300 gal.
of heating oil for $7.66 ............. I figured it didn't owe me
anything when I threw it out. (the rubber impeller was softened by the
fuel and the next time I went to use it it had seized. I don't think
water would have done that.