Old 23-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Guy Bradley

Default Starting Basil from seed

"Darwin Vander Stelt" wrote in message
I have had problems getting Basil to start from seed in a raised bed
outdoors. I even covered the seed with a peat moss-soil-vermiculite

mixture
that wouldn't crust. I sprinkle it once or twice a day . .could it

be that
the new seedlings, which have very tiny leaf surfaces, are getting

destroyed
in the sprinkling? How do you do it?

Along with others, I vote for too much watering, though cold soil
could do it also. Here is Missouri, we planted our basil in the ground
in mid-May and promptly went on a two week vacation. Apparently it
rained only once while we were gone, but when we returned basil was up
and growing.

Guy Bradley
Chesterfield MO
zone 6