Old 23-06-2003, 06:08 PM

Default [IBC] Acer rubrum

In a message dated 6/12/03 8:48:45 AM, writes:
I would worry that a knob cutter would kill the part of the tree above the
incision.

No, as long as you don't girdle a tree, there is circulation sideways. You
don't cut that deep.

I wired the branches green, because once they lignify they are as rigid as
steel.
The green branches are very springy. When I took the wires off, even though
there were some marks, they sprang up again. I will have to rewire.

Ramification is difficult. * I think I might have suggested that, rather
than cutting branches off flush with the trunk (or incised into the trunk) you
leave a small stub. * Often, A. rubrum will sprout new branches around the
stub. * THEN you can cut it off -- and the dead branch stub is less likely to
leave a big swelling.

This is essentially what happened. However, I now have a tree about 18 inches
tall, with six branches. They are placed properly, but it needs more
branches. Is there any way to get it to bud back on the trunk?

Once your tree is well established in this pot, you can try to defoliate
regularly. * This helps bring down leaf size, but also promotes end buds and
buds farther back on the new branches to sprout and helps with ramification.

I did cut off the very largest leaves, because it was sprouting well. I will
have to repot it next year in the same pot, because the front isn't exactly
right & there are roots sticking up that need further trimming.
If I cut the branches shorter in the fall, will this promote new branches? I
need to keep the branches from getting too thick in proportion to the trunk.
Iris

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++