Old 23-06-2003, 06:45 PM
Pat Meadows

Default snow peas

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 16:58:06 GMT, Repeating Decimal
wrote:

While some people say the immature peas are the sweetest, I do not find that
to be the case. I wait until they fill out a bit, actually quite a bit. Take
a chance and try one a bit early. What do you have to lose? That way you
will calibrate yourself quickly.

Bill

Bill, these are snowpeas - did you possibly not realize
that?

Pat

I do not know what you mean. Is the name pertinent? What are the properties
of snow peas that I should know?

Snow peas - often used in Asian cooking - are the type of
peas where you eat the whole pod. Not sugar snaps - you eat
the whole pod in them too, but with developed peas inside.

When you buy snow peas, you're buying a flat pod with
sometimes tiny little peas inside, but they're barely
visible.

Judging from snow peas that I've purchased (and grown - a
long time ago), when the peas inside are fully developed,
the pods are tough and stringy - not something you'd want to
eat.

Pat