Old 23-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Frogleg

Default Toxic hose?

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 09:57:09 -0700, des weges
wrote:

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 12:10:55 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

Consider: how long would the manufacturer of toxic garden hoses stay
in business? I think the hose itself can be ruled out. Just my
opinion.

Most garden hoses commonly purchased by homeowners now have a
disclaimer specifically stating not to use for potable water!!!

My mother always told me not to drink from the hose, and I never
understood why. And I never quit drinking from hoses when I was
outdoors and that was the convenient water source. I expect the
"warning" has to do with regs about specific standards, materials,
certifications, etc. for anything of "food grade" construction.

If garden hoses came with warnings "do not use to convey water to
edible plants, or to moisten turf on which animals or children will
frolic," I'd worry. And learn rain dances to irrigate my garden. Given
that a garden hose's purpose is to water gardens, I deduce, perhaps
wrongly, that it wouldn't be constructed of herbicidal materials. Call
me naive. :-)