Old 22-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Frogleg

Default Toxic hose?

"Dvd" wrote

Neighbour planted tomatoes, peppers and cosmos in a new bed. In less
than a week everything has died. There appears to be some accelerated
growth, such as occurs with herbicides, but there have been no
chemicals used anywhere in or near the yard. Could toxic chemicals
from a brand new plastic hose have leached into the water that wa used
on the plants? (Husband says no, wife says water appeared milky).
Anyone experienced anything like this? Weather has been fine -- no
frost, not particularly hot, and sufficient rainfall.

Consider: how long would the manufacturer of toxic garden hoses stay
in business? I think the hose itself can be ruled out. Just my
opinion.
Old 22-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Salty Thumb

Frogleg wrote in
:

Consider: how long would the manufacturer of toxic garden hoses stay
in business? I think the hose itself can be ruled out. Just my
opinion.

Probably as long or longer than certain cylindrical entertainment objects,
former endorsed by camels and cowboys, or certain fire retardant material
with the word 'best' in the name.

Besides, nobody said the entire inventory was toxic (even though it might
be, just not enough for ordinary people to know).

-- Salty
Old 22-06-2003, 05:56 PM
des weges

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 12:10:55 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

Consider: how long would the manufacturer of toxic garden hoses stay
in business? I think the hose itself can be ruled out. Just my
opinion.

Most garden hoses commonly purchased by homeowners now have a
disclaimer specifically stating not to use for potable water!!!

"As crude a weapon as a cave man's club the chemical barrage has been hurled at the fabric of life."
Rachel Carson

tomj
Old 23-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 09:57:09 -0700, des weges
wrote:

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 12:10:55 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

Consider: how long would the manufacturer of toxic garden hoses stay
in business? I think the hose itself can be ruled out. Just my
opinion.

Most garden hoses commonly purchased by homeowners now have a
disclaimer specifically stating not to use for potable water!!!

My mother always told me not to drink from the hose, and I never
understood why. And I never quit drinking from hoses when I was
outdoors and that was the convenient water source. I expect the
"warning" has to do with regs about specific standards, materials,
certifications, etc. for anything of "food grade" construction.

If garden hoses came with warnings "do not use to convey water to
edible plants, or to moisten turf on which animals or children will
frolic," I'd worry. And learn rain dances to irrigate my garden. Given
that a garden hose's purpose is to water gardens, I deduce, perhaps
wrongly, that it wouldn't be constructed of herbicidal materials. Call
me naive. :-)