Old 23-06-2003, 09:07 PM
Arwen Long

Default Dwarf lantana

Lantana is also VERY easy to root from cuttings... cut... water... roots.
So you could take a couple cuttings in August/September and have
replacements if it doesn't overwinter.

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Penny Morgan wrote:

There are some lantana varieties that "may" overwinter in our zone 7b. The
toughest one is Miss Huff (orange and yellow and quite large). I really
haven't heard of others surviving, but I haven't tried overwintering all
that many. I'm familiar with the Patriot series which are low growing
lantana and New Gold is also a spreading type. If they are planted in very
rich soil, sometimes they become much larger than anticipated. The Patriot
and New Gold have not overwintered in my experiences. The best way to try
overwintering lantana is to plant it in a sheltered spot near your house or
a building - not in an open bed in the yard. I used to work and sell
flowers at Fairview Garden Center and we did not guarantee that lantana
would survive. I now own and operate my own flower planting service in N.
Raleigh, so my exposure to plant information is excellent. I'm always
talking with growers, nurseries and my customers. I have not heard anything
about a new lantana that will survive. I do have one customer that has Miss
Huff and it does come back very nicely each year. It's in the back of her
brick home in a bed that is very close to the house in Preston Estates in
Cary.

Penny
Flowers By The Yard
"Margaret Lillard" wrote in message
This weekend, at the Farmers Market, I picked up some very pretty dwarf
lantana that was promoted to me as a perennial. I thought lantana was
considered an annual in zone 7; anybody familiar with a dwarf variety and
whether it can winter over, or whether lantana in general can be
encouraged to survive the winter?

Thanks

Margaret