Old 23-06-2003, 09:10 PM
V_coerulea

Default Help Id a tree and its disease

Again, mine is a guess. The damage looks similiar to fire blight on Prunus
spp such as apples, pears, crabapples. The bark also seems to look in the
right range although I'm not sure of the foliage. I've never seem the
variegation before in this genus. You might have a unique very expensive,
desireable plant if all of this is true. General treatment is cutting off
all affected areas and burning them. Treat the tree with agricultural
streptomycin if available. Locate someone who might want to propagate this
tree. They certainly will treat it to save it and line your pocketbook as
well.

"Steve" wrote in message
I live in East Scotland and have a beautiful but unidentified tree that

is
about 5m tall and has lovely pink and white new leaves (or maybe bracts?)
at this time of year. Last year it developed a disease of some sort which
causes the shoots to die back from the tip, going black and splitting.
Cutting out all the diseased parts as they developed last year didn't

help.
There are pictures at http://www.rosebud.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
any help identifying the tree and or the disease would be very much
appreciated

TIA

Steve

---