Old 22-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Steve

Default Help Id a tree and its disease

I live in East Scotland and have a beautiful but unidentified tree that is
about 5m tall and has lovely pink and white new leaves (or maybe bracts?)
at this time of year. Last year it developed a disease of some sort which
causes the shoots to die back from the tip, going black and splitting.
Cutting out all the diseased parts as they developed last year didn't help.
There are pictures at http://www.rosebud.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
any help identifying the tree and or the disease would be very much
appreciated

TIA

Steve

---

Old 22-06-2003, 07:32 PM
David J Bockman

I'll stick my neck out and say that the variegation you're seeing is
symptomatic of whatever virus or disease the tree is suffering from.

Dave

Old 23-06-2003, 05:44 AM
Marley1372

I have never seen this before, but it almost looks like its a variegated
cottonwood?? The disease appears to be some kind of a canker that is killing
off the branches.

Toad
Old 23-06-2003, 05:56 AM
gregpresley

Could that be a dove tree/handkerchief tree? (Davidia involucrata). I've
never seen one except in books, but your pics look a little like what I've
seen in tree guide books.

Old 23-06-2003, 06:56 AM
Marley1372

Could that be a dove tree/handkerchief tree?

I thought so too at first, then I looked it up in one of my books and it looks
alot different on close inspection. I have been driving past this "thing" by
the public library that actually looks just like the tree in question but is
definitley a shrub, only a foot or two above the ground. one of these days ill
have to sneak a closer peek at it.

Toad

Old 23-06-2003, 09:10 PM
V_coerulea

Again, mine is a guess. The damage looks similiar to fire blight on Prunus
spp such as apples, pears, crabapples. The bark also seems to look in the
right range although I'm not sure of the foliage. I've never seem the
variegation before in this genus. You might have a unique very expensive,
desireable plant if all of this is true. General treatment is cutting off
all affected areas and burning them. Treat the tree with agricultural
streptomycin if available. Locate someone who might want to propagate this
tree. They certainly will treat it to save it and line your pocketbook as
well.

Old 23-06-2003, 10:32 PM
David Hill

Sorry but it's nothing special in the UK as has been said on
uk.rec.gardening,
its a very wide spread poplar, the leaf colour is best on young growth, so
it is often cut back quite hard each year, this helps to keep the "Canker"
at bay. I have about 12 of them....I say about because they can sucker quite
easily.
Also to propagate all you have to do is to cut 12 to 15 inch long shoots in
the Autumn, put them about 5 to 6 inches into the ground, and by the Spring
they will be rooting.
Sorry but no fortune from it.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 24-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Steve

David,
you clearly know about this tree. I was not sure about the suggestions that
it was a populus candicans or canadensis because my book describes them
both as "columnar". This tree is more your standard "lollipop" shape and
the leaves are smaller than the book suggests. Also, it does not have
catkins. Could all this be the result of a lack of pruning? I only bought
this house 18 months ago so I don't know the tree's history before then.
Now that it has the canker, is it a goner, or can I prune it back hard and
save it? Do you know of any other treatment for canker?
Thanks for your comments so far,

Steve