Old 24-06-2003, 02:20 AM
paghat

Default Help- deer and hostas

In article ,
(Mpb58) wrote:

Help, the deer munched my 2 huge hostas plants down to the ground. They aslo
ate my annuals.

Try to enjoy the fact that you're visited by deer, you lucky dawwwg.
Nothing short of a deer proof fence will keep them from gobbling up those
tasty tender vitals we call flowers. There are a hundred tricks you can
try -- nasty-tasting pepper-spray & rotten-egg repellants, a circle of
plants just outside the gardens the deer like & are welcome to, selecting
deer-resistant plants exclusively which they eat only halfway to the
ground instead of all the way, & getting a big ol' dog.

I haven't lived somewhere where deer visit since I was a kid; I wish I
still lived far enough out & rural to have deer dropping by. I'd create
fence-enclosed gardens with gated arbor entries, & plant plenty of stuff
outside the enclosures that could bear up to being foraged, & then I could
consider those deer my good pals (until I caught one inside one of the
fenced gardens, then maybe I'd chuck rocks at it & scream like mad & sick
Rover on it).

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl: