Old 24-06-2003, 03:44 AM
~ Windsong ~

Default Color me DISCOURAGED! - herons and nets

In the last chapter: Szpond picked up the keyboard and pecked out:
:
:: This year - Murky, pea green soup, floating algae, for the past 6
:: weeks. Plenty of plants. Have lost 12+ comets and koi to the
:: local heron (of course he took our favorite ones). Have string
:: around pond, floating snake, and heron statue. Took another one
:: this week! Have lots of hiding spots for the fish, but they come
:: right to surface everytime we approach.
========================
I can't help you much with the algae problem but herons are another matter.
The only sure cure for herons, fish eating frogs, turtles and snakes is a
bird net. They work 100% of the time. We haven't lost one fish to
predators since we netted our ponds. I also believe they cut the disease
rate as well because they keep out these predators that travel from pond to
pond carrying these things with them. We've had no disease or parasite
problems since netting either. :-)

We use UV lights and a lot of plants to control pea-soup pond water.
--
*.·´¨¨))