Old 24-06-2003, 04:21 AM
Chris

Default blades for lawn tractors, difference in quality?

I know ther are different qualities of steel and it does mkae a differnce as
far as quality. Can you get the specification of each blade and find out
what steel each is made of?
"Joe Zorzin" xxxx@zzzz wrote in message
I have a nice Craftsman lawn tractor purchased at Sears. My 3 blades are

now
getting sharpened. I decided I ought to buy a new set so I can rotate them
while having one set being sharpened.

I think Sears quoted me something like $18/blade. A local guy has a shop

for
maintenance work on lawn tractors and he said he can get the identical
blades for $11 each.

Wal-Mart has blades even cheaper. I asked the local guy if there is much
difference in quality- he said that the cheaper blades will have lower
quality steel and won't last as long or retain their sharpness.

Comments? I do believe in getting good tools and maintaining them, but I
sometimes get ripped off on prices. If the local guy is right- sure, I

want
the better blades, but he is really right?

--
Joe Zorzin