Old 05-03-2003, 02:39 PM
Phisherman

Default The Leaning African Violet

On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 00:02:35 GMT, "Jenny Rizzo"
wrote:

Thank you for the recommendations -
Should I repot in regular potting soil, or is it necessary to get the
special african violet soil?

Not necessary, but recommended. The African violet soil mix is
specially formulated for these plants, and the pH is right. AFs are
often overpotted, but they seem to prefer a tight pot. Transplanting
these plants is difficult for beginners due to their thickly-matted
root system and tender brittle leaves. I found it easier to line the
insides of a fresh clean pot with soil by pressing it in place with
the fingers--making something like a "dirt nest." You may need to
make 2 or 3 attempts to get the fit just right and your AF will soon
be happily adjusted to its new home.