Old 24-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Ben Griffin

Default [IBC] Trident maple training question

My trident did the same thing this spring. Im also in
the north east NY, NY and have had similar rainy cool
conditions. not today though we hit 90 today.
Such weird weather, we haven't really gotten above 80
most days till this spring were in the upper 60's and
low 70's. Now looks like we are going to have a 4 day
heat wave. They are saying wednesday we might hit
100........ My trees must be so confused. Anyway i
have had 4 spring flushes this strange spring on my
trident. It grows about 10 times faster then all my
other trees only my siberian elm even comes close. I
have already reduced the leaves on the tree by 1/3 4
times this spring. If i don't then it stops looking
like a tree and starts looking like a bush. I have
noticed the triple leaf burst from the joints on the
tree. I even have some with 3 tiny leaves and 2 huge
2 inch leaves from the same node. "no im not using
superthrive" Its very strange. I have mine in a spot
that gets about 4 hours of direct sun a day. I have
been trimming off the larger leaves and leaving the
smaller ones. Ive also been cutting down wild shoots
that fly out at will. Seems like during a 4 day rain
spell the tree grows a half a foot wide bush..... I
don't think your trident would have dropped its upper
growth if you had left the sacrifice branch alone. I
am not growing for trunk girth anymore though and i
don't have a sacrifice branch going right now. I do
know though that tridents are unbelievably hardy.
While my siberian elm will drop leaves if i let the
growth get out of hand my trident will not. It does
consume about 2 times as much water as any other tree
i have though. Mine actually broke dormancy mid
winter this year and has had the strongest spring
growth of any of my trees.

Ben

http://sbc.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++