Old 25-06-2003, 12:08 AM
John Hines

Default Newbie pond planning questions

(Scott Evans) wrote:

I've been reading quite a bit of the posts in rec.ponds, and have a some
questions on filters. Obviously, a pre-filter and/or skimmer would be
used to keep the pump from seeing large particulate (sticks, leaves,
etc) matter. However, is a veggie filter just a natural form of a
biological filter, or do they serve different functions?

Yes a veggie filter is a natural form of biological filter.

While the plants do take up some nutrients directly, I'm guessing after
looking at the root mass on some plants, that in fact, it is the natural
bacteria, on the surface areas doing the bulk of the work.

Veggie filters can be prettier as well.