Old 25-06-2003, 12:48 PM
Jim W

Default Banana plant

Phil Long wrote:

My daughter sowed some banana seeds about 12 months ago. One seed
germinated and is now 6ft tall and visibly growing in our conservatory by
the day! The conservatory roof is 12ft max.
How high do they grow (gulp)

Pretty high, but in the UK I've seen them outside at about 8 ft. More
in a greenhouse.

Do they survive outside? - We live in Leicestershire

Depends on species and how much shelter it has locally.. With the
information you've given the answer would be yes, if its the 'right'
kind, Musa basjoo

If they have to stay indoors can they be "pruned " and if so will they grow
again (as was claimed at the NEC Gardeners World Exhibition)?

Yes.. there is some very good information on the web. 'search at google
for Musa 'winter storage' and you should get enough to start with.
http://www.urbanjungle.uk.com/bananas.html is the sort of site you want.
//
Jim