Old 24-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Phil Long

Default Banana plant

My daughter sowed some banana seeds about 12 months ago. One seed
germinated and is now 6ft tall and visibly growing in our conservatory by
the day! The conservatory roof is 12ft max.
How high do they grow (gulp)

Do they survive outside? - We live in Leicestershire

If they have to stay indoors can they be "pruned " and if so will they grow
again (as was claimed at the NEC Gardeners World Exhibition)?

Old 25-06-2003, 03:44 AM
Dwayne

"Phil Long" wrote in message
My daughter sowed some banana seeds about 12 months ago. One seed
germinated and is now 6ft tall and visibly growing in our conservatory by
the day! The conservatory roof is 12ft max.
How high do they grow (gulp)

Depends on how big of a pot they are put in. The bigger the pot, the bigger
the plant. Ours have gotten to about 6 ft, but they were put out side only
during the summer. As the leaves died, new ones came back.

Do they survive outside? - We live in Leicestershire

If they have to stay indoors can they be "pruned " and if so will they

grow
again (as was claimed at the NEC Gardeners World Exhibition)?

Yes they will come back. You put them outside during the summer (if the

wind doesn't blow too strong), dig them up in the fall, shake most of the
dirt off of the roots, put he root ball into a plastic or paper bag, cut off
all the leaves, and store it in a cool building that wont let it freeze, and
replant in the spring. We lost two out of 6 one year, so now we just pot
them and bring them inside.

Dwayne

Old 25-06-2003, 12:48 PM
Jim W

Phil Long wrote:

My daughter sowed some banana seeds about 12 months ago. One seed
germinated and is now 6ft tall and visibly growing in our conservatory by
the day! The conservatory roof is 12ft max.
How high do they grow (gulp)

Pretty high, but in the UK I've seen them outside at about 8 ft. More
in a greenhouse.

Do they survive outside? - We live in Leicestershire

Depends on species and how much shelter it has locally.. With the
information you've given the answer would be yes, if its the 'right'
kind, Musa basjoo

If they have to stay indoors can they be "pruned " and if so will they grow
again (as was claimed at the NEC Gardeners World Exhibition)?

Yes.. there is some very good information on the web. 'search at google
for Musa 'winter storage' and you should get enough to start with.
http://www.urbanjungle.uk.com/bananas.html is the sort of site you want.
//
Jim

Banana plant Phil Long United Kingdom 11 05-12-2003 04:03 AM
How to plant banana lilies Jamieanne Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-08-2003 07:02 AM
Banana plant Phil Long United Kingdom 9 03-07-2003 11:44 PM
Banana plant CichlidGeek Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:21 AM
Unhappy Banana Plant Tim \(BBC\) United Kingdom 3 27-12-2002 04:03 PM