Old 25-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Aaron Baugher

Default snow peas

zxcvbob writes:

I'm growing snow peas this year for the first time. I think the
variety is Oregon Early Giant, or something like that. When do I
pick them? As soon as the pods are almost 3 inches long, or do I
let them fill out just a little -- where I can see the immature peas
bulging the pods? Thanks.

I'm growing Goliath peas this year. They're supposed to be an
either-or -- eat them as snow peas or shell them out. One catalog
said to pick them flat, and another said to let them fill out first,
so I tried the latter. Way too stringy. I even pulled as many
strings as possible off the second batch, but it wasn't enough.

So I'd say you'd better pick them before the peas start to bulge,
although you could leave a few to get fuller and see how they do.
These Goliaths grew very nicely and are producing well, but I think
I'll use them for shell peas next year and grow some true snow peas
for eating whole.

--
Aaron