Old 25-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Madrona?

I am in Oregon so I know how you feel about these
trees - and they are so tempting. But, after numerous tries,
even twice thinking I was going to make a success of it, I
have decided the time is best spent on collecting something
with more promise. We have so many choices in the NW. I
have heard claims of successes, but I don't know how long a
time that success is actually measured over. I have some
doubts. I am now inclined to spend more time looking for
larch, pine, and hemlock - all of which give me very good
plentiful, too, is a better subject than madrona. In fact,
it is possible to find a vine maple almost naturally styled as
a literati, put it in a pot and enjoy it from the start.
Mainly I would say to collect something else at the same
time so your time will give you something to keep you company
while the madrona drives you crazy
Lynn

ESPECIALLY as you are a beginner at the art of bonsai, you need
to start out with trees that give you some hope of success.
Also, while it has been some years since I lived in the Pacific
NW, I'd think it is a bit late to do any transplanting -- so
perhaps a nursery plant, or just another season spent reading
about bonsai and how they work. ???

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++