Old 25-06-2003, 07:08 AM
Lynn Boyd

Default [IBC] Madrona?

From Joshua:

Hello. I'm new to bonsai and I'm sure I started with the

wrong tree, but I
live in Washington State and we have a ton of wild madronas

here and they
are so pretty. So, I went out and found a small one to try

to adopt as a
bonsai. What few books I've managed to find and read said

that is a viable
way to start a bonsai. SNIP --

Joshua,

I am in Oregon so I know how you feel about these
trees - and they are so tempting. But, after numerous tries,
even twice thinking I was going to make a success of it, I
have decided the time is best spent on collecting something
with more promise. We have so many choices in the NW. I
have heard claims of successes, but I don't know how long a
time that success is actually measured over. I have some
doubts. I am now inclined to spend more time looking for
larch, pine, and hemlock - all of which give me very good
plentiful, too, is a better subject than madrona. In fact,
it is possible to find a vine maple almost naturally styled as
a literati, put it in a pot and enjoy it from the start.
Mainly I would say to collect something else at the same
time so your time will give you something to keep you company
while the madrona drives you crazy
Lynn
Lynn Boyd, Oregon, USA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Jim Lewis

[...]

ESPECIALLY as you are a beginner at the art of bonsai, you need
to start out with trees that give you some hope of success.
Also, while it has been some years since I lived in the Pacific
NW, I'd think it is a bit late to do any transplanting -- so
perhaps a nursery plant, or just another season spent reading
about bonsai and how they work. ???

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Shadarack Tailroam

Thanks for the information! Actually, I've been playing with the idea of
trying to do a weeping willow as well. I figure the buggers are nearly
impossible to kill. I mean, you can stick a cutting in the ground and it'll
grow. Although, I'm not sure about how well it'll bonsai. Perhaps I should
find a 'real' bonsai tree and try that. One of the books I have suggests
that a laurel fig(ficus microcarpa) would be good for a beginner? The
picture of it in the book is very pretty, although I know that since it must
be an older plant, I won't get such lovely results right away. I think
perhaps I need to find my local bonsai shop or nursery or something.
Incidentally, when my room-mates heard I was interested in bonsai, they
purchased me a bonsai starter kit thingy that came with a pot and some tools
and a nearly useless instruction booklet(reading even the last few weeks of
this group has proved more educational!). Included in the kit is a coupon
for a free 5 year old tree. But...the tree is supposed to be shipped by
mail!?! Does anyone know about Toysmith's ability to deliver a live, viable
tree via the mail? It doesn't mention species. It just says 'bonsai tree'
which makes me wonder if it would be worth the postage to send in the
voucher...

--Joshua Hughes

[...]

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 25-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Shadarack Tailroam

Well, I didn't transplant it. Sort of. Basically, I took a pot out to where
it was, dropped some rocks in the bottom to promote drainage, and simply
removed the plant, and a good portion of the soil it was growing it, to the
pot. It seems to be staying alive, but then, I have only had it for four
days. Does anyone know anything about taking care of madronas? Soil type,
watering schedule, anything? I can't find any information on this anywhere.
It may very well be an impossible plant, especially for a beginner, but I'd
still like to make a go of it...

--Joshua Hughes

Old 27-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Iris Cohen

You must have missed my post. Go to the Web & do a search on Arbutus menziesii
bonsai or Pacific madrone bonsai. You will get plenty of information.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 27-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Shadarack Tailroam

Actually, I saw your post. The first time I did a search, I came up with
nothing usefull. This time I managed to find one page with some information,
so either I'm using the wrong search engine or just not spending enough time
looking through the pages that the search turns up. Most of the pages seem
to say the same thing - Madrones are very pretty trees that look like bonsai
already. Oh yeah. And they grow wild in the Pacific Northwest. Not really
new information for me. However, the one page I found was pretty good, so.
Thanks!

--Joshua Hughes

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
You must have missed my post. Go to the Web & do a search on Arbutus

menziesii
bonsai or Pacific madrone bonsai. You will get plenty of information.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

[IBC] Weeping willow was Madrona? Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 0 25-06-2003 09:08 PM
Madrona? Shadarack Tailroam Bonsai 0 25-06-2003 05:32 AM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Mastering Technique (Was [IBC] proposal) Mark Hill Bonsai 1 27-02-2003 11:25 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Mastering Technique (Was [IBC] proposal) Mark Hill Bonsai 4 27-02-2003 09:20 PM
[IBC] To: IBC Enforcer (was: [IBC] Juniper Bonsai life expectancy?) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 12-02-2003 11:25 PM