Old 25-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Victory Garden question

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 13:37:31 GMT, Frogleg
wrote:

The original version with Jim Crockett was pretty low-maintenance. And
so successful, I suppose, that it had to continue with new material
and trips to foreign gardens, etc. How many times can you illustrate
the method for transplanting a tomato?

The next person after Crockett - Bob Thomson - wrote a
pretty good book that I recently read called "The New
Victory Garden". (I read it in a library copy, I don't own
it.) I found it especially useful because it was set in the
same Zone that I'm in (5) and has a lot of scheduling
information - what to plant when and so on.

"This Old House" and follow-ups irritate me similarly. Years ago there
was "The Old Houseworks" on PBS that had really solid
info/instructions on things like refurbing a double-hung window, with
emphasis on working with old houses. Definitely DIY. "This Old House"
is "if you happen to have $100k to buy an old house, and $300k to hire
designers and contractors and replace heating, cooling, plumbing, and
electrical systems, pretty soon you'll have a $1M house. Different
strokes, I suppose. :-(

Agree. I don't watch 'This Old House' any more, it's just
nasty now - all about how to spend excess money.
Conspicuous consumption!

Pat