Old 22-06-2003, 11:32 PM
David

Default Victory Garden question

What ever happened to the Amish looking guy that was the host on the show?

Old 23-06-2003, 02:08 AM
Anonymo421

What ever happened to the Amish looking guy that was the host on the show?

He tripped, fell into the compost pile, and was never seen or heard from again.
I believe Mr. Swain retired.
Old 24-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Frogleg

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:28:56 GMT, "David" wrote:

What ever happened to the Amish looking guy that was the host on the show?

See:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/victorygarden/site/faq.html

Roger Swain retired.

Old 24-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Pat Meadows

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:29:11 GMT, Frogleg
wrote:

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:28:56 GMT, "David" wrote:

What ever happened to the Amish looking guy that was the host on the show?

See:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/victorygarden/site/faq.html

I've been very disappointed in Victory Gardens recently -
it's for the rich.

They said they were going to try to be more practical this
year, and have ideas that people can use in their home
gardens more, but I don't think they've succeeded notably
well at this.

I could use *lots* of their ideas in my home garden if I
were rich - granite stepping stones, for example! Heavens.
We can't even afford cinder blocks, much less granite.
100 foot perennial borders...I only wish I had the strength,
money, energy and ROOM for a 100 foot perennial border. Or
money to pay a gardener.

Pat
Old 25-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:28:56 GMT, "David" wrote:

What ever happened to the Amish looking guy that was the host on the show?

See:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/victorygarden/site/faq.html

I've been very disappointed in Victory Gardens recently -
it's for the rich.

I could use *lots* of their ideas in my home garden if I
were rich - granite stepping stones, for example! Heavens.
We can't even afford cinder blocks, much less granite.
100 foot perennial borders...I only wish I had the strength,
money, energy and ROOM for a 100 foot perennial border. Or
money to pay a gardener.

The original version with Jim Crockett was pretty low-maintenance. And
so successful, I suppose, that it had to continue with new material
and trips to foreign gardens, etc. How many times can you illustrate
the method for transplanting a tomato?

"This Old House" and follow-ups irritate me similarly. Years ago there
was "The Old Houseworks" on PBS that had really solid
info/instructions on things like refurbing a double-hung window, with
emphasis on working with old houses. Definitely DIY. "This Old House"
is "if you happen to have $100k to buy an old house, and $300k to hire
designers and contractors and replace heating, cooling, plumbing, and
electrical systems, pretty soon you'll have a $1M house. Different
strokes, I suppose. :-(
Old 25-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Pat Meadows

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 13:37:31 GMT, Frogleg
wrote:

The original version with Jim Crockett was pretty low-maintenance. And
so successful, I suppose, that it had to continue with new material
and trips to foreign gardens, etc. How many times can you illustrate
the method for transplanting a tomato?

The next person after Crockett - Bob Thomson - wrote a
pretty good book that I recently read called "The New
Victory Garden". (I read it in a library copy, I don't own
it.) I found it especially useful because it was set in the
same Zone that I'm in (5) and has a lot of scheduling
information - what to plant when and so on.

"This Old House" and follow-ups irritate me similarly. Years ago there
was "The Old Houseworks" on PBS that had really solid
info/instructions on things like refurbing a double-hung window, with
emphasis on working with old houses. Definitely DIY. "This Old House"
is "if you happen to have $100k to buy an old house, and $300k to hire
designers and contractors and replace heating, cooling, plumbing, and
electrical systems, pretty soon you'll have a $1M house. Different
strokes, I suppose. :-(

Agree. I don't watch 'This Old House' any more, it's just
nasty now - all about how to spend excess money.
Conspicuous consumption!

Pat
Old 25-06-2003, 03:32 PM
WCD

For the many fans of Roger Swain, you might be interested in this . . .

http://www.ppplants.com/television/index.html

I guess sometimes if the boat you're on turns into the wrong direction,
you just get onto another boat going in the right direction, eh?

Old 27-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Nyssa

Frogleg wrote:

The original version with Jim Crockett was pretty low-maintenance. And
so successful, I suppose, that it had to continue with new material
and trips to foreign gardens, etc. How many times can you illustrate
the method for transplanting a tomato?

I adored Victory Garden when Jim Crockett was doing it,
and I *still* use his "Crockett's Victory Garden" book as
my most-referenced gardening book.

If you can find a copy of this somewhere in a used bookstore,
it is well worth whatever you have to pay for it.

I even remember crying when Russell Morash announced Jim
Crockett's death on the show. He was one of the great ones.

Nyssa, veggie and herb gardener

Old 30-06-2003, 02:08 PM
WCD

David wrote:
What ever happened to the Amish looking guy that was the host on the show?

Roger is alive and well in New England!!

Check out this link.

http://www.ppplants.com/television/index.html

Old 18-09-2006, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Orenthal wrote:

Roger Swain has a great gardening personality. Does anyone know if
DVD's of the Swain episodes of Victory Garden are available for
purchase?

++

I never could warm up to Roger Swain. To me, Jim Crockett was
the only True Victory Gardener.

DVDs of HIS episodes would be the ones I'd like to find.

Nyssa, who has a whole big stack of Crockett's gardening books