Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Victoria Clare

Default seeds and pods

"Revove SPAMTRAP to relpy!" wrote in
:

id like to see if i can increase my stock of plants...is it possible
to grow broom from the seed pods easily? also what about lavender
Papillion seed heads? fuchsias? how long do i leave the seed or pods
on the plant before i can remove them?

Lavenders are usually pretty easy from seed, though I am not sure if you
would get plants exactly like the parent, if you have a named variety. On
the other hand, you might get something even better, and most lavenders are
pretty.

Let the flower heads fully mature, then remove the seeds by tapping when
they are starting to be loose. Make sure you don't pull the flower heads
off till they are fully ripe and dead-looking. You'll need to keep an eye
on them or the seeds will fall out and plant themselves.

They take a while to germinate, as I recall.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall