Old 25-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Default What to Do With Three Bags of Peat Moss?

Salty Thumb wrote:

(Jay Chan) wrote in
om:

I would like to know what I can do with 3 bags of peat moss.

Last year I bought 3 large bags of peat moss with the hope of
improving the soil in my vegetable garden. But I found that I got more
compost than I can use from my compost piles. I ended up putting all
the compost into the vegetable garden and still got a lot of compost
left (I sprinkled the rest over my lawn). I believe my vegetable
garden really doesn't need any more soil amendment. What I am going to
do with the 3 bags of peat moss?

Should I sprinkle the peat moss over my lawn in this fall when I will
re-seed the lawn?

Can I put it around an evergreen tree and use it like mulch?

Should I mix it with fully composted materials and put the mix into
the vegetable garden with the understanding that there will never be
"too much" soil amendment?

Any other idea?

Thanks.

Jay Chan

Doesn't peat moss increase soil acidity? If so, try using it to grow
blueberries, azaleas or acidophilic plants. Or buffer it and use as seed
starter.

-- Salty - not very experienced garden-wise

Peat mixed with concrete - hypertufa. Use it to make lightweight fake stone
planters.