Old 26-06-2003, 08:08 AM
dicko

Default Mosquito Traps-Do they work?

On 24 Jun 2003 17:25:42 -0700, (mypet)
wrote:

Have the Mosquito Magnets been improved since their introduction? It
seems to me that the posts I have read from a year or so back stated
that the owners were very disappointed yet people are now reporting
400 a night!? That's a huge difference there. On epinions.com I also
read less than exciting reviews on the Coleman Mosquito Deleto as
well. Why are there such widely different results being reported?

My experience with mine is that it doesnt work.

I have a mosquito magnet, bought when they first came on the market 3
years ago. The first year I must have caught maybe 20 mosquitos in
its net. The second year was really bad for mosquitos and i filled up
maybe an 1/8 of the net, thousands of mosquitos but still not what I
felt it should be catching. At the end of the last year I was
comparing pictures of th eunit on the manufacturers website and my
unit and realized that they had shipped me an incomplete unit. Mine
was missing the flared nozzle that goes around the vacuum port. Aha!
thats the reason why it doesnt work! I have to admit, their customer
service is very good and they replaced parts free of charge.

This year, thinking that I now have a completely working unit, I had
great expectations. But so far its caught maybe another 20 mosquitos.

Here are two observations
1. the vacuum suction is really low. the mosquitos can fly right into
the nozzle and not get sucked up. more escape from the nozzle than
get sucked into the bag.
2. Mosquitos just arent attracted to it. When I go out to check the
bag, they all head right for me but they ignore the trap entirely. You
can literally see them laugh themselves from the leaves they are on
and head for me as I approach, yet they just seem not to care about
the trap one bit.

So I guess you'd say they're not attracted to the trap and if they
are, they dont get sucked up.

Now, given enough mosquitos and enough time, just by random chance,
some will blunder into it and get caught. That appears to me what
happens.

So I have an old model. I cant say if newer ones work. I notice that
my model is no longer listed on their website so maybe there were
problems with it but due to the fact that the mosquitos just arent
attracted to it, from 3 feet away much less half an acre, I dont think
it has to do with the machine's design.

dickm