Old 14-06-2003, 06:44 PM
TomM in NY

Default Mosquito Traps-Do they work?

I have been thinking about getting one of those propane powered mosquito traps.
Has anyone tried them and do they work?
Thanks!
tom
Old 16-06-2003, 06:05 PM
Kevin

We just purchased one last week and are catching loads of them every night.
I was told that it had to run about three weeks before you would see an
improvment. Anyway, I would estimate it catches anywhere between 400 - 1000
misquetoes each night.

Old 20-06-2003, 06:44 AM
Shelly

"Jan Flora" wrote in message

...A neighbor has a Mosquito-Magnet. Her yard is a swamp with no breeze.

Serious mossie heaven...
Jan in Alaska, where the mossie is the state bird

So funny! I've heard there are two types of mosquitos in Alaska - the ones
small enough to fit through the screen and the ones big enough to open the
door and come in after you! Is it true?

Shelly

Old 24-06-2003, 06:56 PM
quackerjake

That is a very good question. I know of one that doesn't. I bought a
Mosquito Power Trap made by Flowtron at Price Costco. I got it home
and it kept cycling off with flashing green lights which means that
it's not getting propane. I took it back and got another. This one
got propane but the vacuum fan wouldn't come on. I took it back. I
decided that the store I was going to must have gotten a bad batch so
I went to another Price Costco and got another one. This one was
manufactured before the others and the design was a bit different (not
the inproved version). It worked fine for 9 days then started with
the flishing green lights meaning no propane. The problem is there was
still 17 pounds of propane in the tank. That one went back too. So
for three units Flowtron was batting Zero. I called the service
department at Flowtron where no one answers the phone and you leave a
message on a machine for a real person to call you back. Good luck.
No one ever called back. I guess they didn't want to hear any details
on just how bad their quality control is.

Also a warning from me. If you have squirrels in your yard be advised
that squirrels can smell the propane in the pressurized hose and
because it's sweet smelling they think its a long black nut. They
will chew a propane hose to pieces in no time. You have to build a
cage out of 1/4 inch mesh screen to keep the rascals out and let the
mosquitoes in.

I'm now going to try Coleman's Mosquito Delito. It has no fans or
computer chips to mess up. It has only the propane tank with catalist
and ocenol scent and strips of sticky stuff like flypaper to catch the
bugs. It seems that there is really nothing to break down like the
electrically powered jobs, but I'll see.

Old 25-06-2003, 01:32 AM
mypet

Have the Mosquito Magnets been improved since their introduction? It
seems to me that the posts I have read from a year or so back stated
that the owners were very disappointed yet people are now reporting
400 a night!? That's a huge difference there. On epinions.com I also
read less than exciting reviews on the Coleman Mosquito Deleto as
well. Why are there such widely different results being reported?
Old 26-06-2003, 08:08 AM
dicko

On 24 Jun 2003 17:25:42 -0700, (mypet)
wrote:

Have the Mosquito Magnets been improved since their introduction? It
seems to me that the posts I have read from a year or so back stated
that the owners were very disappointed yet people are now reporting
400 a night!? That's a huge difference there. On epinions.com I also
read less than exciting reviews on the Coleman Mosquito Deleto as
well. Why are there such widely different results being reported?

My experience with mine is that it doesnt work.

I have a mosquito magnet, bought when they first came on the market 3
years ago. The first year I must have caught maybe 20 mosquitos in
its net. The second year was really bad for mosquitos and i filled up
maybe an 1/8 of the net, thousands of mosquitos but still not what I
felt it should be catching. At the end of the last year I was
comparing pictures of th eunit on the manufacturers website and my
unit and realized that they had shipped me an incomplete unit. Mine
was missing the flared nozzle that goes around the vacuum port. Aha!
thats the reason why it doesnt work! I have to admit, their customer
service is very good and they replaced parts free of charge.

This year, thinking that I now have a completely working unit, I had
great expectations. But so far its caught maybe another 20 mosquitos.

Here are two observations
1. the vacuum suction is really low. the mosquitos can fly right into
the nozzle and not get sucked up. more escape from the nozzle than
get sucked into the bag.
2. Mosquitos just arent attracted to it. When I go out to check the
bag, they all head right for me but they ignore the trap entirely. You
can literally see them laugh themselves from the leaves they are on
and head for me as I approach, yet they just seem not to care about
the trap one bit.

So I guess you'd say they're not attracted to the trap and if they
are, they dont get sucked up.

Now, given enough mosquitos and enough time, just by random chance,
some will blunder into it and get caught. That appears to me what
happens.

So I have an old model. I cant say if newer ones work. I notice that
my model is no longer listed on their website so maybe there were
problems with it but due to the fact that the mosquitos just arent
attracted to it, from 3 feet away much less half an acre, I dont think
it has to do with the machine's design.

dickm

Old 26-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Lynn F. Russell

I've heard that bats are great for insect control....have you thought of
getting a bat house?

om...

Old 27-06-2003, 02:20 AM

neighbor put up a bat house. never had a bat occupying it tho. Ingrid

"Lynn F. Russell" wrote:

I've heard that bats are great for insect control....have you thought of
getting a bat house?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 28-06-2003, 03:08 AM

thank you. made the point better than I did. Ingrid

Salty Thumb wrote:

wrote in :

neighbor put up a bat house. never had a bat occupying it tho. Ingrid

That's not surprising. What kind of mischiropterist bat would live want to
live in single home subdivision. Maybe Count Chocula, but who else?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 12-07-2003, 11:44 AM
zebrin

----

How do these actually attract mosquitos?
Or fire ants?

Zebrin

Salty Thumb wrote:

wrote in :

neighbor put up a bat house. never had a bat occupying it tho. Ingrid

That's not surprising. What kind of mischiropterist bat would live want to
live in single home subdivision. Maybe Count Chocula, but who else?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List