Old 26-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Janice

Default Weird Soil

Thanks for the reply. I've never heard of soil wetting agents before. I
added manure last year, but perhaps not enough.

Regards,

"Thes" wrote in message
Janice wrote:
I have this really weird soil that just won't take up any water. I

water
the soil for ages and ages, but if I immediately dig into the soil no

water
has soaked down, not even a quarter of an inch. It's just bone dry dust
underneath. Where the water is going is a complete mystery (maybe there
really is a third dimension).

The border has dreaded leylandii in it, which I know soak up water, but

the
water isn't penetrating even a half inch. It's almost like the soil has

waterproof layer on it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks.

You can get soil wetting agents for exactly this problem at garden
centres/B&Q etc. You could also try a little detergent in the water,
perhaps. Maybe add some organic matter etc, too.

Thes