Old 26-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Janice

Default Weird Soil

I have this really weird soil that just won't take up any water. I water
the soil for ages and ages, but if I immediately dig into the soil no water
has soaked down, not even a quarter of an inch. It's just bone dry dust
underneath. Where the water is going is a complete mystery (maybe there
really is a third dimension).

The border has dreaded leylandii in it, which I know soak up water, but the
water isn't penetrating even a half inch. It's almost like the soil has a
waterproof layer on it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Old 26-06-2003, 12:20 PM
Thes

Janice wrote:
I have this really weird soil that just won't take up any water. I water
the soil for ages and ages, but if I immediately dig into the soil no water
has soaked down, not even a quarter of an inch. It's just bone dry dust
underneath. Where the water is going is a complete mystery (maybe there
really is a third dimension).

The border has dreaded leylandii in it, which I know soak up water, but the
water isn't penetrating even a half inch. It's almost like the soil has a
waterproof layer on it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks.

You can get soil wetting agents for exactly this problem at garden
centres/B&Q etc. You could also try a little detergent in the water,
perhaps. Maybe add some organic matter etc, too.

Thes

Old 26-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Janice

Thanks for the reply. I've never heard of soil wetting agents before. I
added manure last year, but perhaps not enough.

Regards,

Old 26-06-2003, 06:09 PM
Gea Jones

Try to dig deeper, see what is there,
that happened to me , many years ago, I found the people before had
re-roofed the house and buried it in the garden, after much digging I found
slates, and more slates, took me 3 years to clear
never again!
Gea

Old 26-06-2003, 06:44 PM
bnd777

Its not weird soil its the effect of Leylandi

They excude a resin which blocks water going into the soil
They destroy the soil structure
The worms all do a runner
Its precisely why so many victims on the other side of neighbours Leylandi
hedges are begging this government for action
Leylandi in this situation should be banned

Old 26-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Jim W

Janice wrote:

I have this really weird soil that just won't take up any water. I water
the soil for ages and ages, but if I immediately dig into the soil no water
has soaked down, not even a quarter of an inch. It's just bone dry dust
underneath. Where the water is going is a complete mystery (maybe there
really is a third dimension).

The border has dreaded leylandii in it, which I know soak up water, but the
water isn't penetrating even a half inch. It's almost like the soil has a
waterproof layer on it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks.

It may be trickling through (eg not being absorbed) and running off
somewhere else.. I'm guessing the soil is very dry and dusty there?

Try forking over and adding/mixing about 6 - 10 inches of well rotted
manure/ compost. Then top with another 3 - inches of bark/chippings ehn
you've planted whatever you wish to plant.

Basically what happens is the soil particles don't break the tension
of/with the water (A bit like the ground pepper on the surface of a
glass trick) and don't hold it. Lots of organic matter and mulches and
of course appropriate plants well watered to establish are the answer.

If you can lose the Leyandii and replace with something better, then
that'd be a bonus.
//
Jim
Old 26-06-2003, 07:09 PM
Paul Kelly

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1fx6bre.34lmyj1t8ccsgN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...
Janice wrote:

(A bit like the ground pepper on the surface of a
glass trick)

pray tell!

pk

Old 26-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Jim W

Janice wrote:

(A bit like the ground pepper on the surface of a
glass trick)

pray tell!

pk

*How to dip your finger in water without getting it wet..*

Take 1 glass of water...

Sprinkle the surface with ground pepper (the ready ground not from a
mill!-) until there is a thin even layer.

Dip finger (carefully) in water

and then remove.. It should come out dry.. possibly slightly peppery..
Works well with other fine powders such as graphite etc.. (if you want
it to work really well you can substitute these before hand (just make
sure people don't use them as seasoning;-)

Same principle, 'surface tension of water' for the 'make a cork or
matchstick float in the centre of a glass' trick..
Anyway, enough of the OT stuff!-)
//
Old 26-06-2003, 11:20 PM
ned

bnd777 wrote:
Its not weird soil its the effect of Leylandi

They excude a resin which blocks water going into the soil
They destroy the soil structure
The worms all do a runner
Its precisely why so many victims on the other side of neighbours
Leylandi hedges are begging this government for action
Leylandi in this situation should be banned

My leylandi must have had a very sheltered upbringing. They don't
appear to have learned how to do this.
My lawn grows right up to (and underneath) the 20 year old hedge and
shows no sign of moisture starvation.
Nettles, goose grass, ground ivy, wild garlic, Honesty all treat the
shelter of the hedge as heaven on earth.
Moles have permanent runs around and under the hedge - the soil they
push up is damp and the only reason the moles are there is because of
the worms.
The above may be ammunition for not having leylandi but it sure as
heck disproves the 'resin exudition' theory. ;-)

--
ned

Old 27-06-2003, 06:34 PM
bnd777

Well you must have an underground stream under yours then because if you dug
for miles anywhere near my neighbours leylandi hedge you would find not a
worm or moisture in sight

and despite tons of compost i have not been able to change the difficult
growing conditions my side

Old 27-06-2003, 07:34 PM
Victoria Clare

"bnd777" wrote in
:

Well you must have an underground stream under yours then because if
you dug for miles anywhere near my neighbours leylandi hedge you would
find not a worm or moisture in sight

and despite tons of compost i have not been able to change the
difficult growing conditions my side

But as you've told us, that hedge is a large one. It is possible to keep
such hedges small.

I also have a leylandii hedge, and it has primroses, honesty and violets
doing well close to the base. There is definitely no stream underneath, as
it's on a raised terrace.

The hedge is about 5 feet tall (and do not fret, it is planned for removal
this year, as both I and my neighbours prefer beech.)

Our neighbours' garden is rather blighted by leylandii, but not my little
hedge: they are growing as 'feature trees' in the garden on the other side.
Odd choice of 'feature' to my mind. Hedge legislation will not help them,
unfortunately.

Victoria
Old 27-06-2003, 10:32 PM
bnd777

Different soils
Different locations and as you say different heights

Hedge legislation is a sore point for many victims right now

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 240.12...
"bnd777" wrote in
: