Old 26-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Pam

Default Composting and neighbors

LoneEarth wrote:

Despite futile attempts to educate my neighbors they persist in
remaining stubbornly ignorant about composting and insist that my
compost bins, which are screened and tidy, will surely cause a
horrible stench (though they have not in the past 3 years) and result
in their back yards becoming unusable. Nothing anyone says will ever
convince them otherwise because they know what they think they know
and that is that.

My question is this: do I have a right to compost yard waste?

That will depend on your city's regs, but I can't imagine why they
wouldn't allow you to. Tell your neighbors NOT to move to Seattle - the
county encourages home composting and even provides free compost bins for
the asking, as do most surrounding counties. And unless you are doing
something terribly wrong, there is no "horrible stench" associated with
composting - in most cases there is no discernable odor at all.

Gosh, it's depressing how ignorant people are and how they will fuss
about the most inconsequential issues. sigh...............

pam - gardengal