Old 26-06-2003, 03:44 AM
LoneEarth

Default Composting and neighbors

Despite futile attempts to educate my neighbors they persist in
remaining stubbornly ignorant about composting and insist that my
compost bins, which are screened and tidy, will surely cause a
horrible stench (though they have not in the past 3 years) and result
in their back yards becoming unusable. Nothing anyone says will ever
convince them otherwise because they know what they think they know
and that is that.

My question is this: do I have a right to compost yard waste? I live
in a city with small but not tiny lots and the bins built from wood
from a very large tree we had removed are in the back of the yard
screened with lattice and various vines. I'm sure that the city has
some kind of an ordinance covering disposal of yard waste as it seems
to have an ordinance covering everything, but it seems completely
ridiculous for me to purchase a sticker (I would probably need
several- they only pick up yard waste biweekly) so that the city can
throw it in their municipal compost site and then sell it back to me
contaminated with pesticides and who knows what other chemicals. Not
to mention that if I throw everything in a garbage can and let it sit
for 2 weeks with no airflow it will start stinking for real. I'm
willing to fight the city, I just wondered if anyone had had any
experience with this.
Old 26-06-2003, 04:44 AM
dstvns

On 25 Jun 2003 19:45:08 -0700, (LoneEarth)
wrote:

Despite futile attempts to educate my neighbors they persist in
remaining stubbornly ignorant about composting and insist that my
compost bins, which are screened and tidy, will surely cause a
horrible stench (though they have not in the past 3 years) and result

My question is this: do I have a right to compost yard waste? I live
in a city with small but not tiny lots and the bins built from wood
from a very large tree we had removed

I am amazed by your ingenuity Congratulations with using the
resources given, and not going to the home depot and spending money on
pressure-treated wood.

to have an ordinance covering everything, but it seems completely
ridiculous for me to purchase a sticker (I would probably need
several- they only pick up yard waste biweekly) so that the city can
throw it in their municipal compost site and then sell it back to me

That is silly. Maybe there's a permit required for compost piles.
Find the paperwork, pay the fee and win the fight. A cop will listen
and give MUCH more weight to paperwork from city hall than he will
complaints from the neighbors. Throw the paperwork in his face, and
the only sentence you'll get from him is "have a nice day, sir". And
don't complain about the fee, I have to pay $50 and be *FINGERPRINTED*
to own a gun in NJ (any gun without a permit is illegal in NJ). The
fee was $70 6 months ago, I think they're trying to make it more
"reasonable".

Find something of theirs you find distasteful, and bitch about it next
time they bring it up (cats running around killing birds, color of
their house, something like that). You are saving the city a great
deal of money with reduced garbage waste, and helping the environment.
Don't let these ignorantly blissful fools win. Find loopholes in the
law, state your pro-environment views to the local municipal
government. Go on the offensive, and next time the neighbors complain
tell em to go to hell.

Also, try to hide it. Cover with grass clippings or dirt/sod. Image
is everything to too many people out there. Out of sight, out of mind
(and boy there sure is a lot thats out of sight to some people).

Dan

Old 26-06-2003, 06:44 AM
John DeBoo

LoneEarth wrote:
snip
My question is this: do I have a right to compost yard waste? I live
in a city with small but not tiny lots and the bins built from wood
from a very large tree we had removed are in the back of the yard
screened with lattice and various vines. I'm sure that the city has
some kind of an ordinance covering disposal of yard waste as it seems
to have an ordinance covering everything,

I live in Albuquerque where composting is encouraged by the city.
They don't provide any composting bins but do provide info on making
them etc and methods of composting. Suggest you contact your Solid
Waste/garbage dept and ask them. If they don't know, try your
Environmental Health dept.

Old 26-06-2003, 06:44 AM
Jan Flora

In article ,
(LoneEarth) wrote:

Despite futile attempts to educate my neighbors they persist in
remaining stubbornly ignorant about composting and insist that my
compost bins, which are screened and tidy, will surely cause a
horrible stench (though they have not in the past 3 years) and result
in their back yards becoming unusable. Nothing anyone says will ever
convince them otherwise because they know what they think they know
and that is that.

Tell them to get phucked and to stay out of your business and your yard.
(They're probably just jealous, because you have a nice garden. JMO.)
Don't waste your breath trying to change their minds; you can't do it.

My question is this: do I have a right to compost yard waste? I live

[...]

Yes, you do. Just keep your compost cooking, so it never stinks and
grow the most awesome garden you can, just because it'll tick them
off even more. (Giving busy-bodies the vapors is *so* much fun. *g*)

We have summer neighbors here who keep demanding that I tell a friend
of mine to: move his horse trailer; cut down his dead trees; clean up his
horse manure; fertilize his pasture so it'll get *real* green; etc. My bud
bought the 15 acres below their measly one acre and it's in "their" view shed.
I told the jerks that if they wanted to control the view, they should have
bought that land. They get really indignant when I say that. *smile*

Jan
Old 26-06-2003, 10:08 AM
des-weges

wrote:

My question is this: do I have a right to compost yard waste?

http://www.deq.state.mi.us/documents..._POLLUTION.pdf

eliminate open burning of leaves, branches, grass and brush by
beginning a
compost pile. Contact the DEQ Waste Management Division, Solid Waste
Program
Section, at PO Box 30241, Lansing MI 48909, for information on
composting.
Energy

http://www.msue.msu.edu/genesee/natres/compwor.htm
"As crude a weapon as a cave man's club the chemical barrage has been hurled at the fabric of life."
Rachel Carson

Old 26-06-2003, 10:56 AM
Joseph Meehan

I doubt if they have anything that directly regulates composting.
However they are sure to have something about nuisances. So as long as it
does not smell, you are fine. The first day it does, you could have a
problem.

Contact one of the elected officials of your town. Have all the good
information about composting with you. Government printed material would be
best. Get that one person on your side and you should be ok. They can
check for you (a voter) to see if the city has any such rules.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old 26-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Compostman

Many cities encourage composting. And some local governments subsidize the
cost of purchasing those round bins. That's how I got started. Montgomery
County, MD, which is close to where I live, provides composting bins for $5
(they'd normally be about $15). At first my neighbors saved their vegetable
waste for me. Now 3 of them are doing their own composting! You need more
enlightened neighbors. I turn my most active piles once a week, which
prevents any significant bad (anaerobic) odors.

--
Compostman
Washington, DC

Old 26-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Vox Humana

"LoneEarth" wrote in message
Despite futile attempts to educate my neighbors they persist in
remaining stubbornly ignorant about composting and insist that my
compost bins, which are screened and tidy, will surely cause a
horrible stench (though they have not in the past 3 years) and result
in their back yards becoming unusable. Nothing anyone says will ever
convince them otherwise because they know what they think they know
and that is that.

My question is this: do I have a right to compost yard waste?

I see two issues that could be a problem. First, you need to check with you
local building department to see if your compost bins and their screening
meet code. Your jurisdiction may have regulations concerning fencing
(height, material, set-back from property line). The second issue would be
odor. A well maintained compost pile shouldn't be a problem, but most
places prohibit any activity that produces strong odor. Your neighbors are
probably just uninformed. You could tell them to inform you if they detect
any odors from your compost bins so you can take corrective measures.

When I first moved into my home I had very little gardening experience.
There was a spot in the back yard that looked ideal for a compost pile and I
had plenty of yard waste. I accumulated a huge pile of weeds and grass
clipping. I watered it well and then we had a lot of rain. One day I went
outside and it smelled like a stock yard. There was a pungent ammonia odor
coming from the pile. I was grateful that the neighbors didn't complain.
They could have called the township or the home owner's association. I
spread it out to dry out the pile and then mixed in some paper and leaves.
So, compost piles can produce a strong, objectionable odor if poorly
conceived and maintained. Perhaps your neighbors had a bad prior experience
or talked to someone who did. As you say, probably nothing anyone says will
help. You will just need to set a good example. They will forget about it
soon if there isn't a problem.

Old 26-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Pam

LoneEarth wrote:

Despite futile attempts to educate my neighbors they persist in
remaining stubbornly ignorant about composting and insist that my
compost bins, which are screened and tidy, will surely cause a
horrible stench (though they have not in the past 3 years) and result
in their back yards becoming unusable. Nothing anyone says will ever
convince them otherwise because they know what they think they know
and that is that.

My question is this: do I have a right to compost yard waste?

That will depend on your city's regs, but I can't imagine why they
wouldn't allow you to. Tell your neighbors NOT to move to Seattle - the
county encourages home composting and even provides free compost bins for
the asking, as do most surrounding counties. And unless you are doing
something terribly wrong, there is no "horrible stench" associated with
composting - in most cases there is no discernable odor at all.

Gosh, it's depressing how ignorant people are and how they will fuss
about the most inconsequential issues. sigh...............

pam - gardengal

Old 26-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Penny Morgan

If they tried anything, I don't think they'd have a legal leg to stand on.
With landfills being filled so quickly and cities and towns having to
transport garbage out to other areas (there are large costs associated with
that), they couldn't possibly say anything about composting in your own
backyard.

About 8 years ago, I moved to a little town (Holly Springs, NC) and started
a couple of compost bins on the side of my house. The lots were so small,
it was ridiculous (mine was .18 acre). I eventually crammed 3 compost bins
on the side of my house and created multiple gardens around my house with
flowers, perennials, veggies and herbs. Some of my neighbors would ask why
I wasted so much time putting in all my kitchen scraps and plants, etc. and
they just laughed at me. Pretty soon, they noticed how my plants and lawn
looked so much better than theirs. They kept asking if I was fertilizing
with something special. Of course, anything will grow and prosper with
homemade compost and a little fish emulsion. The two local papers came and
interviewed me about composting and organic gardening (pictures were taken).
At our subdivision pool, I was teased about being a celebrity and people
started asking me questions about composting and how hard it was. Once I
explained how easy it was, some of them actually attempted it.

We had our yearly celebration in the town park and they asked me to sit in a
booth and educate people on composting. Our town had been fighting another
landfill being pursued behind our subdivision and composting was an issue
raised. Our town purchased thousands of commercial compost bins and started
selling them for $30 and encouraging people to start composting.

There might have been 6-8' between my neighbors house and mine, but I never
had complaints or smells from them. There were times when I had them
overflowing with plants ripped out of my garden, but it breaks down very
quickly.

I moved to N. Raleigh last September and have a huge compost pile on the
back of my property. It backs up to a wooded area and then a road behind
that. I got my 1.5 acre lot to start having fun with my gardens. I'm so
excited about getting started, I could burst. Unfortunately, we've been
tackling one thing at a time (front yard was way overgrown and needed to be
cleaned up). I just finished the side yards and actually managed to get
tomatoes, peppers, rosemary, lemon thyme, lemon grass, cucumbers, green pole
beans, basil, oregano, dill, chocolate mint, sage and lavender both in the
ground and in pots on my back deck. Everything is growing nicely, but not
as robust as it used to be with my compost. Next year......

Personally, I would ignore the idiots next door and contact your local
Health Department, Waste Management, Town or City Hall and try to get some
answers on your rights to compost in your area. Good luck. You can tell
your neighbors that THEIR property might bring down the value of yours
because they aren't being very smart with recycling and our environment.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 26-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Doug Kanter

What Dan said (first response to your question) is about right, in terms of
municipal nonsense and whining neighbors. As far as the smell, your
neighbors have no idea what they're talking about, ***ASSUMING*** you
compost correctly. Food scraps only smell if they undergo anaerobic
decomposition, which occurs in a sealed environment. Well, not totally
sealed, but close to it. Example: I used to throw food scraps into a bucket
outside the back door, and let them collect for a few days before mixing
them into the composting box. The stuff at the bottom of the bucket would
begin to smell really foul and it looked like vomit. That put an end to the
bucket idea. But, even when it was dumped into the composting box, the smell
was gone within a day. I still wouldn't recommend this, though.

If you put the wrong things into the compost, you'll get odd smells, and
lots of unwanted animal visitors. Never put meat bones into the compost, and
even eggshells should be avoided, unless you want to share everything on
your property with raccoons. No dairy, either. So, if your cutting board
contains vegetable scraps littered with remnants of cheese you shredded,
don't compost any of it.

If your neighbors whine, ask them to explain their theories to you:

Neighbor: Compost piles stink....
You: Really? You had a compost pile at some point?
Neighbor: No...but I heard that they were smelly.
You: No kidding? Where'd you hear that? I'm always interested in swapping
gardening ideas with other knowledgable people.
Neighbor: Well...you know what I mean...they smell.
You: No...I don't know. Could you explain?

That was pretty much an actual conversation with MY neighbor, who I managed
to tune up nicely after about 3 years. After that time, she began asking for
compost to add to her outdoor patio plants. :-)

Never let the ignorant get away with being that way, if it affects you.
Never never never. Be like a dog with a bone.

Old 27-06-2003, 03:08 AM
Christopher Fuhrman

"LoneEarth" wrote in message
[snip]

My question is this: do I have a right to compost yard waste?

I live in downtown Montreal. We pay taxes out the wazoo in Canada, but the
city offers a deal on commercial compost bins for only CAN$20.

Best thing to do is ask the city parks people in your area.

Old 27-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Phisherman

wrote:

[...]

A compost pile can give off a disagreeable odor if the pile is too wet
and not enough air. I use a pitch fork to turn the piles. A compost
pile should smell "earthy." I have my compost piles surrounded by a
hedge (Rose of Sharon) so they can't be seen. My neighbor's yard
smells like dog shit but I don't complain.