Old 26-06-2003, 02:32 PM
dave weil

Default Problems in the garden

I don't know if it's coincidence, but I've noticed discoloration
problems since I've been spraying with NEEM. I've dealt with
blackspot, I've had that "tree fungus" thing that starts with a C
(never knew what it was before but it never really bothered me
before).

The thing that alarms me is a purple "bruising" on the stems of Old
Blush, as well as spotting on the leaves that I've noticed on other
plants as well (including my newly planted single Don Juan. Felicia
also has a strange yellowing of the leaves that doesn't look like
blackspot. Here are some pictures:

Felicia:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/Problems1.jpg

Could this be overfertilization maybe?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/Problems2.jpg

This is the purple brusing that you'll see later on Old Blush. This is
my newly planted Don Juan in front of the porch.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/Problems3.jpg

Same here, only on Aloha, which is also suffering from blackspot as
usual.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/Problems4.jpg

This is the most worrisome. This is a new cane from Old Blush. Most of
the new canes have this "bruising".

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/Problems5.jpg

And, just for giggles, here is what the beetles are doing to my
Felicia panticles.

Then again, not *everything* is a problem:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/NotAProblem.jpg

The glads are poppin'

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/NotAProblem2.jpg

And so is Don Juan, this planting fortunately not exhibiting any
unusual spotting or discoloration.

Any insight would be appreciated. Could it be the NEEM that's causing
the purple? It certainly isn't keeping the beetles *or* the blackspot
away...