Old 26-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Lynn F. Russell

Default Mosquito Traps-Do they work?

I've heard that bats are great for insect control....have you thought of
getting a bat house?

"quackerjake" wrote in message
om...
That is a very good question. I know of one that doesn't. I bought a
Mosquito Power Trap made by Flowtron at Price Costco. I got it home
and it kept cycling off with flashing green lights which means that
it's not getting propane. I took it back and got another. This one
got propane but the vacuum fan wouldn't come on. I took it back. I
decided that the store I was going to must have gotten a bad batch so
I went to another Price Costco and got another one. This one was
manufactured before the others and the design was a bit different (not
the inproved version). It worked fine for 9 days then started with
the flishing green lights meaning no propane. The problem is there was
still 17 pounds of propane in the tank. That one went back too. So
for three units Flowtron was batting Zero. I called the service
department at Flowtron where no one answers the phone and you leave a
message on a machine for a real person to call you back. Good luck.
No one ever called back. I guess they didn't want to hear any details
on just how bad their quality control is.

Also a warning from me. If you have squirrels in your yard be advised
that squirrels can smell the propane in the pressurized hose and
because it's sweet smelling they think its a long black nut. They
will chew a propane hose to pieces in no time. You have to build a
cage out of 1/4 inch mesh screen to keep the rascals out and let the
mosquitoes in.

I'm now going to try Coleman's Mosquito Delito. It has no fans or
computer chips to mess up. It has only the propane tank with catalist
and ocenol scent and strips of sticky stuff like flypaper to catch the
bugs. It seems that there is really nothing to break down like the
electrically powered jobs, but I'll see.

(TomM in NY) wrote in message

I have been thinking about getting one of those propane powered mosquito

traps.
Has anyone tried them and do they work?
Thanks!
tom