Old 26-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Frogleg

Default Porch ceiling bug problems

On 25 Jun 2003 14:21:23 -0700, (mypet)
wrote:

(frogleg wrote)

Are your neighbors' porches similarly plagued? They would probably be
the ones to ask for advice/experience. I was going to recommend
attracting spiders, but I see those are part of your problem. As for
mosquitoes, is there standing water around for them to breed in?

No standing water, we live in a rather wooded area but we're on the
side of a hill and the birdbath gets emptied regularly along with any
flowerpot saucers that need it. I have asked around and no similar
problems are being reported. The only difference I see is that the
ceiling over the back deck is flat and as you get closer to the house
it forms a kind of a "well" or trough that's about 2 feet higher than
the rest of the ceiling. I'm wondering if they like that protected no
drafts area? That being said, what can I spray these suckers with?

Hate to say it, but I haven't a clue. I mean, I have a porch (dark
green ceiling) and a bunch of spiderwebs to broom off from time to
time, and moths fluttering around the (fluorescent) porch light at
night, and there are certainly mosquitoes in the area (ocean, creeks,
and somewhat swampy places all within 2-3 suburban blocks), and find
an occasional 'skeeter in the house, but not the accumulation or rush
to get indoors that you report. My best guess is...the paint on the
ceiling. Perhaps others have experiences with light/dark colors to
report. To test this theory, and if the infestation is so heavy you
could really tell the difference, I'd paint a couple of patches (maybe
4' square) with A) another color and B) another formulation.
*Something* is attracting the critters, and as this thread hasn't
gathered a lot of similar experiences, a relatively bizzare solution
may be in order for a unique problem.