Old 26-06-2003, 03:08 PM
DouglasTaylor

Default [IBC] Trident maple training question

Thanks Marty great advice
You are correct (IMHO) defoliation should be one of the final steps in
bonsai design and it is rear to have a sacrifice branch and the tree being
at the point where defoliation is the proper thing to do, but I believe this
was the correct step in the training process for this tree. It had a nice
compact top but the extended overcast, rainy weather caused the inter-nodes
on the top to increase and the petioles to get way long. I left the
sacrifice branch just to increase the taper at the base of the tree. Next
year (2004) I will be cutting this branch completely off and then the
following spring (2005) I believe it will be time for it's first Bonsai pot.
I think it will make a decent small (8-9") bonsai.

I was wondering if defoliating the sacrifice branch was the proper/safest
thing to do even though it is contradictory (slows girth growth) to the
purpose of the sacrifice branch. I was concerned that if I left the leaves
on the sacrifice branch the tree, might give up on the, fairly well
developed, top.

So far most list replies said it was the safest thing to do.

Doug.

..