Old 26-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Kay Easton

Default Eryngium (Sea Holly) ????

In article , Bart Bailey
writes
On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:39:43 +0100, "Alan"
wrote:

I seen this at Cawdor Castle yesterday. Can someone tell me what it is as
I'd like to buy one. Seems like some sort of Eryngium (Sea Holly) but if so
which species. It's certainly not the one I normally see. This one has very
feathey flowers. The plant was growing to about 4 or 5 feet. BTW if anyones
up near Inverness, Cawdor Castle gardens are well worth a visit.

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~haggis63/whats-this.jpg

Alan

Wouldn't happen to be a type of Thistle, would it?
http://www.mccullagh.org/db7/d30-30/thistle.jpg

No - it is definitely an Eryngium.

And your picture wasn't a thistle either ;-)
It was a teasel - different family altogether - Dipsacaceae, as opposed
to carrot family for sea holly and daisy family for thistle.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: