Old 26-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Salty Thumb

Default What to Do With Three Bags of Peat Moss?

(Jay Chan) wrote in
om:

Doesn't peat moss increase soil acidity?

I am worrying about this too. But I am just hoping that the effect is
not that big -- I don't really know.

Or buffer it and use as seed starter.

I am very interested in this idea. What does "buffer it" mean? I am
planning to re-seed my lawn in this fall. I am wondering whether I can
spread it around in my lawn after I have put down grass seeds.

By "buffer" I mean add something (like lime) to help neutralize the acidity
.... not too much or it'll end up too alkaline. I also don't really know if
you need to do that or not ... my experience is limited to buying packaged
seed starter mix and seeing 'peat moss' listed as an ingredient. (By seed
starter I meant to grow your own vegetables or flowers from seed in little
trays or pots, not for grass!.)

Personally I wouldn't waste it on the lawn, but I don't think it'd hurt to
use it as a thin mulch. In that case you might want to compost it first
and let nature take care of the acidity.

-- Salty