Old 26-06-2003, 06:32 PM
K30a

Default The one that got away

Interesting by-product of ponding is an increased awareness of wildlife,
especially birds.

I lived here for at least 15 years before I saw a blue heron and actually knew
what it was. And all because of ponding.
I now can hear kingfishers when Rosie and I walk by the Columbia River. I've
id-ed lots of birds that I never even knew existed. Night herons, osperys, all
sorts of hawks. These wonderful huge 747 sized American Pelicans have shown up
recently. We even had an escaped flamingo in the Yakima River Delta area....
now that
was a surprise spotting him while driving - luckily the community survived
without an accidents!

k30a