Old 25-06-2003, 07:20 PM
zookeeper

Default The one that got away

From today's front page of local newspaper:

http://registerguard.com/

After today, try:
http://www.registerguard.com/news/20...nt20030625.pdf

Old 25-06-2003, 08:44 PM
joe

zookeeper wrote:

From today's front page of local newspaper:

http://registerguard.com/

Yeah Baby! One for our side! Take that, you scum sucking, lily livered
Heron.

Joe

Old 25-06-2003, 09:08 PM
K30a

zookeeper wrote:
From today's front page of local newspaper:
http://registerguard.com/

Wow, what a picture!
I wouldn't be surprised if he wins
an award somewhere down the line!

k30a
Old 26-06-2003, 05:44 PM
David Larson

Zookeeper wrote:

From today's front page of local newspaper:

http://registerguard.com/

Hey Kathy,

I swear that's the same Heron that's been flying over my neighborhood these past few weeks! I'll
save that picture, and if I can get a positive ID next time he comes around I'll call the police to
come around and arrest the little bugger! )

Let's see here... chages?

[1] Trespassing.
[2] 1st degree murder.
[3] Harrassment.
[4] Wanton disregard for fish life.
[5] Fish-napping.
[6] 1st degree theft.
[7] 2nd degree "being a pain-in-the-arse".

I'd say, 50 years to life with no possibility of parole.

- David

Old 26-06-2003, 06:23 PM
zookeeper

David Larson wrote:
Zookeeper wrote:
From today's front page of local newspaper:
http://registerguard.com/

I swear that's the same Heron that's been flying over my neighborhood ...
if I can get a positive ID next time he comes around I'll call the
police ...

Good idea! I know (hope?) you're joking. Only thing the police /
wildlife police would do is tell you not to keep "food" fish available
for that blue / green / great white heron, kingfisher, etc.

There are so many birds around, especially in all the Delta ponds
created from years of mining gravel near the rivers. We also have hawks
and eagles on Willagillespie Butte, although I've never seen them closer
to the ground then around the tops of the fir and oak trees. Next
planned pond-related purchase: scarecrow sprinkler or other
motion-activated water device.
--
Happy ponding!
zookeeper

Old 26-06-2003, 06:32 PM
K30a

Interesting by-product of ponding is an increased awareness of wildlife,
especially birds.

I lived here for at least 15 years before I saw a blue heron and actually knew
what it was. And all because of ponding.
I now can hear kingfishers when Rosie and I walk by the Columbia River. I've
id-ed lots of birds that I never even knew existed. Night herons, osperys, all
sorts of hawks. These wonderful huge 747 sized American Pelicans have shown up
recently. We even had an escaped flamingo in the Yakima River Delta area....
now that
was a surprise spotting him while driving - luckily the community survived
without an accidents!

k30a
Old 26-06-2003, 07:20 PM
David Larson

Zookeeper wrote:

I swear that's the same Heron that's been flying over my neighborhood ...
if I can get a positive ID next time he comes around I'll call the
police ...

Good idea! I know (hope?) you're joking. Only thing the police /
wildlife police would do is tell you not to keep "food" fish available
for that blue / green / great white heron, kingfisher, etc.

There are so many birds around, especially in all the Delta ponds
created from years of mining gravel near the rivers. We also have hawks
and eagles on Willagillespie Butte, although I've never seen them closer
to the ground then around the tops of the fir and oak trees. Next
planned pond-related purchase: scarecrow sprinkler or other
motion-activated water device.

Hey, remember when we spoke on the phone about using X-10 modules to keep herons away? Well take a
look at this!

http://www.x10.com/news/articles/051403.htm

- David

Old 26-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

zookeeper wrote:
David Larson wrote:

Zookeeper wrote:

From today's front page of local newspaper:
http://registerguard.com/

[...]

My scarecrow is enroute!

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 27-06-2003, 04:56 AM
zookeeper

David Larson wrote:
Zookeeper wrote:
... Next
planned pond-related purchase: scarecrow sprinkler or other
motion-activated water device.

Hey, remember when we spoke on the phone about using X-10 modules to keep herons away? Well take a
look at this!

http://www.x10.com/news/articles/051403.htm

I'll take a look at this -- thanks for the link. Did you also say that
Radio Shack has X-10 type modules as well? Oh goodie, more on line
research .....
--
Kathy B

Old 03-07-2003, 12:44 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Hey, remember when we spoke on the phone about using X-10 modules to keep herons away? Well take a
look at this!

http://www.x10.com/news/articles/051403.htm

I'll take a look at this -- thanks for the link. Did you also say that
Radio Shack has X-10 type modules as well? Oh goodie, more on line
research .....

After looking at those items prices the scarecrow for $55 wasn't a bad
deal at all. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~